Building a Tank

Anyone want to build a tank for your Grandchild or child? Pretty cool project if you ask me. By the way, it is powered by batteries and goes a whopping 1 mph! :thumb:

http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

tank11.jpg

tank01.jpg

Frank,

Maybe your son would be more open to the kids having a bulldozer, made similarly. A Cat D-10 would be a neat project. :D I'd love to do one for my greatgrandson, but shipping the thing from here to New York State would cost more than buying a real one there. :rofl:

What you think Travis? Then Alyson could help Daddy move logs. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony

Frank,

Maybe your son would be more open to the kids having a bulldozer, made similarly. A Cat D-10 would be a neat project. :D I'd love to do one for my greatgrandson, but shipping the thing from here to New York State would cost more than buying a real one there. :rofl:

What you think Travis? Then Alyson could help Daddy move logs. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony

Actually I was thinking of making a bulldozer shaped cradle for the "next one" assuming there is a next baby, and assuming its a boy. That would go good with the tractor cutouts in the baseboard. I got to watch what I do with Alyson though. Alyson's mother got after me the other night when I suggested making a train shaped play set outside this summer."Can't we do anything girlie for Alyson," she asked?

Having been a tanker by MOS many years ago in the army, that second picture with the broke track is very reminiscent of several days in Germany after our company commander (an Infantry officer) decided that since a Jeep could make it over a hill and through a woodline, our M-60 A-1 tanks should be able to easily do it. Spent three days out there with a track that looked like a snake dragging that tank 50 yards out of the woods to put it back together.

I know what you mean Jerry. I never worked on tanks, but by golly we did have a John Deere 1010 bulldozer when I was a kid. One day we were logging in an area known as the Hemlock Grove. It was good cutting, but there was one spot that we had to go through that was wet.

Guess where we threw a track?

I was only about 10 years old, but in the middle of winter, working on a thrown track in the middle of a water hole meant frozen feet and fingers. Oh it was the coldest I have ever been. Of course we could not leave it and wait for a warmer day, this was winter and the bulldozer would be froze in by morning. It had to be fixed and had to be fixed now!! I'll never forget that experience.

A few weeks ago over on www.mytractorforum.com, IO started a post about mini-dozers and this guy posted a link to one. It was okay, but I noted the tracks were loose. I got lambasted for saying that. Everyone thought loose tracks are the way to go. Well not for this farm boy. I put thrown tracks back on many a machine. I run them right to tightness specs.

So what do you guys think...are the tracks too loose on this mini-bulldozer? I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJelCoWZo4&feature=related