My new Bandsaw....

Ned Bulken

in addition to my new spinny thing, I picked up a tuned up HF bandsaw, with riser block, link belt, extended crank tension adjuster and hefty shop built base:

saw.jpg

fence.jpg

the base is Solid... 3/4" MDF with DC port installed.

base.jpg

Should do the job until the budget allows for that minimax someday :rolleyes:

Thanks Ken,
over on woodcentral someone pointed out that the fence is an aftermarket unit, and a quick call to my friend confirmed this, it is a Fast-trac fence, which sold out to Kreg and now the same (or similar) model is sold as the Kreg fence.

Paint it mustard yelo

then it work just as good as the pricey ones ned:rofl: or white with blue trim like kens:D congrats have a old atlas that is older than you are and its only 12" so you got a bigger one than me..:thumb:

then it work just as good as the pricey ones ned:rofl: or white with blue trim like kens:D congrats have a old atlas that is older than you are and its only 12" so you got a bigger one than me..:thumb:

Thanks Larry, funny you should mention painting it. I was actually thinking of a new color for it, figuring that I'd take a page from Vaughn's book and make my own 'brand' of Saw someday.

Ned,

Couple Qs....

What's the "Gear Crank" on the saw table top for? Blade tensioning?

Is the top original? Seems to have a nice polished finish to it, and appears to be quite large...

Nice fence too... Optional or 3rd party maker?

I think a good cleaning and maybe a white paint job..with some thin trim, would really look nice, but....it looks like it will work fine for right now...:D

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw, Ned.

Larry, what vintage is your Atlas?? We also have an old Atlas, inherited from my father-in-law who bought it new in about 1952, together with an Atlas lathe. He got the two machines for about $75.00 then, paid them off $5 at a time when he could shake the money loose. We put new tires on it about a year or so ago---the first new tires it had had (obviously FIL didn't use it very much, but we sure do).

Nancy

Ned,

Couple Qs....

What's the "Gear Crank" on the saw table top for? Blade tensioning?

Is the top original? Seems to have a nice polished finish to it, and appears to be quite large...

Nice fence too... Optional or 3rd party maker?

I think a good cleaning and maybe a white paint job..with some thin trim, would really look nice, but....it looks like it will work fine for right now...:D

that's the tensioner, with extension to clear the top of the saw, aftermarket. A zoom in in photoshop says it is a Quick-Crank. (removed to avoid damage on the way home)

the original owner had serious upgrade-itis.

the top is a clamp on formica cut-out, and the fence is a Fast-trac aftermarket fence. Fast-trac was bought out by Kreg, and that's essentially a silver Kreg bandsaw fence.

good cleaning is about all it will get until I'm much more settled in the shop, someday this summer. Though a good paintjob Might just happen sooner than that...

Last edited:
...Though a good paintjob Might just happen sooner than that...
Through extensive research, I've determined that purple saws cut faster. :D (Although I used some of the black "hammered finish" Krylon a while back on a metal cabinet, and it's got a cool look, too.)

Congrats on the saw, Ned. The cast iron parts sure looks the same as every other 14" import bandsaw I've seen, including my Shop Fox.

Ned - you brought me back from lurking, now that the snow is (mostly) gone and the shop floor doesn't (immediately) suck all of the warmth out of me when I walk in there. Enough other people have razzed you about why you're putting tools into a storage unit instead of a shop, so I will just toss in my two cents and say that if you're serious about repainting it, I have had excellent results painting on metal using One Shot Sign Enamel.

Let me know when you're planning the roof raising.

Mark

Thanks Larry, funny you should mention painting it. I was actually thinking of a new color for it, figuring that I'd take a page from Vaughn's book and make my own 'brand' of Saw someday.

Yeah... There is just something :dunno: about "Green" tools.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congratulations Ned, I can't wait to see what you make with it.

DT

Had to stash some of my son's stuff in the storage unit today... and in doing so, had to tighten things up in there. Of course the first tool in from the door is the new bandsaw. Now I'm not one to complain (who'd listen?) but I think that MDF really stands for Massively Dense Fiberboard. OOF, moving that saw out and then back into the unit was a chore and a half. The base on that sucker certainly does its job of contributing mass to the saw. I doubt it will be moving much once it is placed in my shop... so I'd better pick a really good spot for it.

Thank goodness for icy hot, oh my aching back!