Sheet Laminate Transportation Question

Duane Mohney

I'm in need of some laminate for a router table and while my car is usually enough for the trips to the hardware store, I know that I can't fit a sheet of 4x8 laminate. Is this able to be rolled up into a loose roll, or am I better off getting enough of a purchase together to justify renting the truck from the borg?

-Duane

Greg,

You're cutting it on your ping-pong table? Doesn't that mess up people's serves? ;)

But seriously, is there some protection underneath we can't see?

Thanks,

Bill

Rolling sheet laminate

Sheet laminate can be easily rolled. However, If I can make a recommendation...If you go to your local countertop shop...Ask them if they have Postform or V32 Grade. Thinner, no loss of duribility, and more importantly, less of the Backer sheet is visible. Much nicer looking.

Good luck

Jason

Last edited:
speaking of laminate sheets... whats the going rate for this stuff? lowes has a 4x8 sheet but its $45. i only need like 2x3 at the most for what im wanting to build. just seems awfully expensive. is there any other cheaper options for buying these things?

What I used was a piece of white Melamine, Got it in the offcut bin at HD for a couple of bucks. Laminated it to a thicker MDF piece and made a sturdy top , slick as waxed snot and at much less the cost.

A piece of precut countertop would serve as well and at half the cost of a sheet of laminate. (just cut the backsplash off) There are several alternatives for creating a nice Router table top.

Greg,

You're cutting it on your ping-pong table? Doesn't that mess up people's serves? ;)

But seriously, is there some protection underneath we can't see?

Thanks,

Bill
:eek: OK, now I know why the ball goes going screwy somtimes....:doh::doh:

:rofl:

Bill, if you look very closely, just under the saw, there is a thin board between the table and the laminate. I adjusted the saw blade to just cut through the laminate and slightly "groove" the board.:thumb:

Last edited:
speaking of laminate sheets... whats the going rate for this stuff? lowes has a 4x8 sheet but its $45. i only need like 2x3 at the most for what im wanting to build. just seems awfully expensive. is there any other cheaper options for buying these things?

Mike, when I made a new extension table for my cabinet saw, I didn't want to buy a whole sheet and have to fool with storing the excess at the time, so I stopped by a local cabinet shop and asked if they had any scrap pieces the sizes I needed that they would sell cheap, and sure enough, they had just what I needed and I got two pieces of top grade Formica for under $8, (incl tax).:D

I got a sheet of black (cheapest laminate) from HD a couple weekss ago for 42.00 +tax. The specialty stuff (Wilsonart) I got from the supplier was sold by the foot. Came out over 70.00 for the sheet. So it varies by the quality of the laminate. Jim.