Acacia?

Steve Ash

I have a customer who wants something made from the wood "referenced" as acacia. I did a search and there are a lot of trees that are in the acacia family.:type:

We do not have anything here in my neck of the woods called acacia, so....anyone know where I can find a source for a block of acacia (dried) that is about 6 inches square and 12 inches long?:huh:

I contacted our local wood specialty shop :wave:

http://www.theworkbench.com/

and they are unable to help me out......anybody here know what I can do?:dunno:

wikipedia my friend....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia

Acacia is a genus of shrubs and trees belonging to the subfamily Mimosoideae of the family Fabaceae, first described in Africa by the Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus in 1773.

Acacias are also known as thorntrees or wattles, including the yellow-fever acacia and umbrella acacias.

There are roughly 1300 species of Acacia worldwide, about 960 of them native to Australia, with the remainder spread around the tropical to warm-temperate regions of both hemispheres, including Africa, southern Asia, and the Americas.

Wood

Most acacia species are used for valuable timber; such are Acacia melanoxylon (Blackwood) from Australia, which attains a great size; its wood is used for furniture, and takes a high polish; and Acacia omalophylla (Myall Wood, also Australian), which yields a fragrant timber, used for ornamental purposes. Acacia seyal is thought to be the ****tah-tree of the Bible, which supplied ****tim-wood. According to the Book of Exodus, this was used in the construction of the Ark of the Covenant. Acacia koa from the Hawaiian Islands and Acacia heterophylla from Réunion island are both excellent timber trees.

-----------------------

i would try searching for trees with names other then "acacia" in the species family, example australian blackwood

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1601&category_id=277

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, that is pretty much the same thing I found and then when I called Johnsons the lady must have found the same source of information we did and she read it to me......then said she couldn't get any of that wood.

The Acacia I am looking for does have a "ancient" use attached to it but I stopped short of calling it a "Bible reference".

I just don't know which type of acacia I need, probably any acacia would do, but more importantly where to get it.

I made an Acacia pen for one of our outgoing Masters. I got the wood in a trade with someone from Australia. That piece was black. Later, I got more from the same person but it was almost white. I think I still have a couple blanks. Will take a look later. Remind me if I don't get back to you later today.

black one steve

i would suggest that you are going after your avatar uses and if so then the ark brand is probally the one. sometimes rockler has access to the exotics more so than johnsons.. possibly wood craft as well.

i would suggest that you are going after your avatar uses and if so then the ark brand is probally the one. sometimes rockler has access to the exotics more so than johnsons.. possibly wood craft as well.

Acacia seyal is thought to be the ****tah-tree of the Bible, which supplied ****tim-wood. According to the Book of Exodus, this was used in the construction of the Ark of the Covenant.
OK Larry, fess up. Who really wrote the second response? :rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the input so far fellas,

I got a email from the man himself who wants this project and he has described which wood he would like to have....here is his email.

Steve,

Thank you very much for doing this. You have no idea what it means to me.

I think the one I am leaning towards is Red Acacia, or ****tim wood/tree. That seems that this wood could have also been used for the building of Noah's ark and the Ark of the Covenant (theory).

Let me know if this is a possibility. If not then I trust your judgment.

Also ... let me know what the cost is because I want three of them ... maybe four.

Thank you

So now that I know what kind of acacia he would like....I need to procure it.

It might be available in the Basra area. :eek:

Might have to fetch it yourself. :eek:

Might have to take the Chevelle. You'll need something quick to get you in and out.

If you do find it, me thinks it's going to be a wee bit pricey.

Haven't heard nuttin from you in a while and then you show up with a new avatar. What's with that? :huh:

Karl

Haven't heard nuttin from you in a while and then you show up with a new avatar. What's with that? :huh:

Karl

Well since ya asked.....

This past saturday my two sons (bottom row center and right) received their 3rd degree in Masonry.

Since it was such a splendid event in the Ash family my dad (top row center) and my brother and his son (left top and bottom) also Masons, were in attendance.

That picture represents 3 generations of Masons in the Ash family, which is kinda rare.

Karl, I know your eyesight is bad so I'll post a larger picture...just for you.

100_3850.jpg

And, the fella that took the picture is the same fella that wants the project (gavel) made from the wood acacia.

Bet ya didn't know I even had a suit didja?....or knew how to tie a necktie....

...or even took a shower more than once a month.....:wave:

Last edited:
Steve,

Here are some that came up on Wood Finder for "ACACIA". The miles are from my zip code in Illinois.

Public Lumber Company Detroit MI (267 miles)
JSO Wood Products Louisville KY (306 miles)
Exotic Lumber Inc - Gaithersburg Gaithersburg MD (619 miles)
Freestate Timbers Timonium MD (639 miles)
Berkshire Veneer Company, Inc. Great Barrington MA (773 miles)
Wood World, LLC - Hardwoods in Dallas, TX Dallas TX (787 miles)
All Righteous Woods - Fruit of the Earth - Rowley MA (892 miles)
Fine Lumber & Plywood, Inc. Austin TX (957 miles)
Urban Forest Recycling Tavernier FL (1261 miles)
Gilmer Wood Company Portland OR (1718 miles)

Hope this helps.

Randy

Also, it seems KOA wood is listed as an ACACIA wood.

Acacia spp., Robinia pseudoacacia
Acacia Koa, Locust
Source: Acacia is one of the most abundant species of wood growing in many parts of the world including America, Europe, India, and Africa. In the United States, in the form of Acacia Koa in Hawaii and Locust on the mainland. For Acacia Koa see KOA.
Color: Locust, greenish-brown heartwood.
Pattern:
Characteristics:
Uses:
Availability: Rare as veneer.
Price Range: Valuable.

Here is one close to you on Craigs list.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mat/606916135.html

Gilmer Wood is listing it as stock wood.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/Gilmerwood Stock.htm

Good Luck

Randy