My first smithy tools!

Alan DuBoff

Former Member (by the member's request)
Ok, I know...smithy tools are not for woodworking per se, but I plan to use this scribe as an awl for working wood.

The scribe started out life as a 3.5" length of 3/4" square stock, drawn and forged into the scribe. The punch was also a shorter and larger piece of stock that was drawn out also.

A large wet sandstone wheel was used to hone the tips on both pieces. Very much like the one Adam Cerubini used in the article published in PWW recentely.

Both were annealed in ash before using the sand stone on them, and then the tips tempered in oil. I was amazed that the punch stayed sharp and pointed after being pounded into steel. The scribe stayed sharp after scribing into cold steel. Both are made out of tool steel.

(linky pic)

Looks great!

I'd really like to get into that smithing thing, but a lack of time and work keep getting in the way........ :huh:

Maybe next year, I'm headed into my crazy month of work here, so just getting the bowl blanks cut and sealed up so they don't crack is taking any spare ( :rofl:) time I have.

Nice work!

Thanks guys, it's a lot of fun to make things out of steel.

If I ever get back up to Portland area, I'd like to visit Dave and see his setup, that marking knife you had was quite nice.

I want to try my hand at some chisels. There's nothing quite like I'd like to attempt to make on the market.

I am impressed. Thats something I always thought I would like to leave but to many hobbies now. Always spend time at the Blacksmiths shop whenever I see one. Civil War reenactments, Williamsburg, etc.

Jeff,

I flattered that I impressed you, and certainly I'm proud to have finished a couple tools.

EDIT: I'm removing some other stuff that should belong here, but see there's another fora for projects of tools we've made. Jeff, can you move this over there?

Last edited: