Ugliest tree in the world and.......

Frank Fusco

........it's MINE! :clap::clap::clap::D:D:D
This really-really ugly old tree is on one of the main streets in our town and has been a sorta landmark for many years. It is a Redbud. Several years ago I asked the owner (a friend and master knife maker) if I could cut it down. He declined but said if it died, I could have it. Well, sirs, this year it failed to bud and now it's mine. :D It has got to have some of wildest, gnarliest, twisty grain structure ever in there. Only concern, it is well known that dead Redbud rot out from the center pretty fast. We will just have to wait and see wait hides inside. Whatever is there is sure to make some interesting bowls and pen blanks.

Attachments

• ugly tree 1.jpg
    ugly tree 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 112
  • ugly tree 2.jpg
    ugly tree 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 142
That looks very promising, Frank. (Now watch...you'll open it up and the grain will all be straight as Sitka Spruce.) :p

Looking forward to seeing what you make out this one, Frank. :thumb:

Reminds me of the ex-wife for some reason...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am not sure if I should wish you luck or say you suck? Its just amazing that the ugly scars and blemishes us Human Beings would consider ugly, wood turns into utter beauty in a woodworking project.

If you can,get hold of the root ball as well. Some of the best figuring in a tree is down underground and usually hasn't rotted away. Don't know if that is true of Redbud but certainly is of most things I have come across here

You should get some really nice burls fromit as well. Keep your tools sharp and get some pics out soon

Pete

Hey, Frank, I think Vaughn is just jealous.:D
At least, I hope he is; I'd hate to be the only one who is.:( :wave:
Gord you are not the only one that is jealous. Frank is just lucky that me and my saw are to far away to drive over and get it tonight.:D

I see Chuck, a chainsaw at large are we?

Frank may be too far away, but I know New Hampshire isn't too far away from me. Open invitation anytime you want to come on up....:dunno:

Travis do you have an ugly tree like the one Frank is getting in your front yard?
I know I can find it if you do.:rofl:
It would be good of you to leave your saw all gassed up and sitting next to:D
On the other hand if you want to split the driving we could go get Franks tree. With 2 of us it wouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to get it into the truck. Well just tell the guy Frank sent us to get it for him.:thumb:

Travis do you have an ugly tree like the one Frank is getting in your front yard?
I know I can find it if you do.:rofl:
It would be good of you to leave your saw all gassed up and sitting next to:D
On the other hand if you want to split the driving we could go get Franks tree. With 2 of us it wouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to get it into the truck. Well just tell the guy Frank sent us to get it for him.:thumb:

Must be why you are wearing that pirate outfit... been wondering!:doh:

I think Frank's gets the Ugliest Tree in America award, but I got a few with warts. :D

Cherry_Burls-small.JPG

I think his front yard in somewhere around 400 acres, as I recall. :p Good luck Buccaneer!
His yard might be 400 acres but all you have to do is look for the saw.:thumb:
And to top it off if you stop and ask them at the dinner where he lives you just knocked out the other thousands of acres in town.
Or you could just cut every tree in town with a burl, but that would take years and up there you more than likely would get shot.
And on top of it all I have spies that live close by and they report that Franks tree is much uglier than any they have seen by Travis.

Last edited: