Grinding Wheel Single Point Dressing Jig

Chas Jones

__________so that grinding debris did not collect on the jig guides.
_________ ____click on image for larger view

__________Main requirement is for the supporting platform to be rigid so that the
__________inevitable differences in hand pressure whilst racking the cutter do not deflect it.
__________The Jig is firmly located & bolted as an adaptor to my normal flat grinding platform.

Isn't it the same basic principal Tormek dresser?

Yes Vaughn, same principle, not unique to Tormek but I suppose that is the most common version seen in the hobby/craft world.

If anything mine has a little less slack in the mechanism than the Tormek one I have used recently, downside is that it must be kept clean because of the tight clearances.

As a matter of interest, a suggestion made on the UK forum that I fit a plastic deflector shield to the front of the cutting head to keep the debris off the guides has merit.

Chas, nice setup! Did you know ebay has single point dressers cheap.

This way of dressing a grinding wheel is by far the best so the wheel runs true. Oneway has the same idea with the single point dresser but it's hard to use. I did get one from Bill Grumbine when he was at the club that slides on the tool rest, it works great... to good for my use. A smooth running wheel is no good for fast removal of steel

A smooth running wheel is no good for fast removal of steel

Doug,

Do you mean smoothness in texture (like baby butt) or smoothness in running (vibration free)?

I also get one from Bill at his demo. I like it much better than the Oneway. They both perform equally well, but Oneway takes more time to set up and take down than actually dressing the wheel.

Doug,

Do you mean smoothness in texture (like baby butt) or smoothness in running (vibration free)?

It's really both, after using Bill's wheel dresser the grinder ran smooth with no vibration but the wheels were no longer agressive. I need a very agressive wheel and if the tool bounces on the wheel it seams to be more agressive yet. I'll use his dresser on the 80 grit wheel for the spindle tools. Things have changed since the beginning it's all speed sharpening, well after sharpening so many I could do them with my eyes closed. Lol

Last edited by a moderator: