Anybody get the call from Minimax that I got this morning?

Truly MM's fault, or at more specifically their accountant's. Now they are looking to cover their rear, and not take the financial hit for their screw-up.

Here in Washington, we have a very high sales tax...8.9% :eek: :bang: Just South of us in Oregon, there is no sales tax... People who live on the border in Vancouver, WA, do a lot of shopping just across the bridge! They are supposed to declare their purchases, and pay a "use tax"...at the same rate as the sales tax. I'm not sure how many do, but all Washingtonians are supposed to declare purchases from Oregon... :rolleyes: :D

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Just like you are asked what you bought on line and how much you paid. My answer is allways and will always be "NONE".;) Theses taxes are getting out of hand.

Greg...you are right....Washington folks do come to the border towns of Oregon to shop...retailers love it, we that live here , less so!

Not only are our big box store parking lots full of foreign license plates, but ya'll talk funny and drive like those dang Canadians pumping all that money into the B'ham economy!;););)

Doug

Greg...you are right....Washington folks do come to the border towns of Oregon to shop...retailers love it, we that live here , less so!

Not only are our big box store parking lots full of foreign license plates, but ya'll talk funny and drive like those dang Canadians pumping all that money into the B'ham economy!;););)

Doug

easy there doug alot of US talk funny to most and some of us even type funnie:rofl:

With e-commerce becomming a bigger chunk of the economy, states are being more diligent in collecting their sales/use taxes. Just because the seller didn't collect the tax doesn't relieve the purchaser of the obligation to pay it.

I avoid paying any taxes that I feel I can get away with ... but ... eventually states will exert their right to collect these taxes. And computerized transactions make it easier to track these things ...

Leigh, and others who have said virtually the same thing, I agree with you. But, for discussion sake, what if you went out of state and purchased something. You would pay tax in that state. For what ever reason, it has been set up that if you "mailorder" something across states lines, that there is no tax charged. This has filtered down to internet purchases and has worked the same way. But say Texas looks at my credit cards and says I owe taxes on stuff I bought when I was visiting my parents in Oklahoma? I would have paid OK taxes on those items because I was in state for the purchase. How does Texas know that? How can one state determine they should get the tax amount, not the other state?
Along the same line, can one state charge a use tax if sales tax was paid in another state? I just see this as becoming a major pain.
What it probably needs to boil down to is that what ever state a product is sold from collects the tax. This would get the states to push for new business to come to the state. Wipe out the grey lines, and make everything clear(er). :rofl: Jim.

break out the ?

Along the same line, can one state charge a use tax if sales tax was paid in another state? I just see this as becoming a major pain.
What it probably needs to boil down to is that what ever state a product is sold from collects the tax. This would get the states to push for new business to come to the state. Wipe out the grey lines, and make everything clear(er). Jim.

It is just these areas of confusion that have kept taxes for out of state shipments left to the users, to take care of their own obligation to the state they are in.

As a wholesaler, shipping all over the US, I would have hated to have to file 48 or so sales (use) tax forms...we have enough paper work already!

I think the reason MM is trying to collect for what they are being charged is because they have a rep in CA and are therefore responsible for collecting and paying the tax in that state.

Fortunately, I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax, despite years of trying.

Doug

What it probably needs to boil down to is that what ever state a product is sold from collects the tax. This would get the states to push for new business to come to the state. Wipe out the grey lines, and make everything clear(er). :rofl: Jim.
I know that its not a direct analogy, but with the EU (United States of Europe-ish) if I sell goods to a customer in another state (country) , I charge them Value Added Tax (basically a national sales tax) at the rate that it is payable in the UK and they do not have any further liability in their own country. Pretty much the same as Jim is suggesting above. Seems to work OK here.

This thread might just motivate me to look into whether states charging sales tax on out state purchases is a violation of inter-state commerce regulations.

Good luck with everything!