No Big Jointer?

glenn bradley

Or as it happens, no jointer at all for me right now. My new jointer piggy bank is almost full. Till then, I am grateful for this thing every time I use it.

Still-Going-1.jpg

Just a little incentive for those of you who haven't taken a Saturday to build one of these if you need it.

Please explain that contraption, I am at a loss as to how it serves as a joiner?
I believe this is only viewable to FineWoodworking.com subscribers, but this video explains planer sleds:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=5245

In essence, it is an adjustable contraption for running the first face of a wide, non-flat board through a planer, instead of face-jointing it in the traditional manner before thickness planing. A budget 12-inch face jointer, if you will.

Glenn, with the first hand experience you have with this jig, can you say that you are happy with its performance?

This would certainly take care of this particular problem....
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8782

:thumb:

Thanks!

- Keith

I've been using it for face jointing since I built it back in May 2007. It is far from the ease and convenience of an 8" (or larger) jointer that you simply walk up to, turn on and run your board across. On the other hand it is so much better than my 6" jointer that I sold it.

It takes just a few minutes to set up the roller stands and adjust the wedges to support the board. You then must pick up the sled and return the sled to the front of the planer after each pass of course. This is a no-brainer compared to doing without.

The structure is quasi-torsion box and has remained very flat through the Summer/Winter/Spring. My making of it is here and includes the link to the article, video and plans: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3978

I would recommend it to anyone without a jointer or room for one. Even at the now stupid prices for BB ply you could make one for about $40 or less depnding on what kind or scrap hardwood or screw-eyes and bungee cord you happen to have around.

P.s. Do use rubberized stair tread for the grips and not sandpaper . . . your planer won't like any loose sandpaper grit, eh?

Last edited:
Please explain that contraption, I am at a loss as to how it serves as a joiner?

In case you can't get to the article, it kinda goes like this: Let's say I have a board I need to face-joint. It's got a serious twist in it and exceeds the capacity of my current jointer (actually I don't even have a jointer right now) but is not too wide for my planer.

I set the board on the cleats and adjust some wedges set into a notch at each end of each cleat till the board is supported. I try to present the flattest top surface I can.

The whole rig then passes through the planer surfaceing the top surface of the now supported board. Proceed till the top surface is flat. Remove board from jig, adjust planer, put good side of board down and thickness as usual.

Glenn, where can I get the rubberized stair tread? I'm assuming the blue or orange BORG?

Thanks!

- Keith

Right. And like the Johnson's Paste Wax, it's not where you expect. I found it by the garage door weather stripping(?). Not to be confused with all of the OTHER weather stripping.

Pool supply places have it but I found it in too large a volume for what I needed. If all else fails, the thingy's you stick to the bottom of the bathtub so Grandma won't slip and fall work too.

TIP: Shellac or poly the surface of the wedges and the cleats before you stick the tread on, it sticks better to a non-porous surface.

Bungee Cord

I can understand the use and purpose of the sled, but I can't figure out the bungee cord. What's its purpose, and is it really necessary?

Thanks
Stephan

Nevermind I see from your other post they are used to keep the supports in place.

Last edited:
Well, Glenn......I went ahead and did it. I made my own sled. :thumb:

2374327663_3aa1e07e20.jpg

I used materials I already had in the shop, so it didn't cost me anything. I even, shockingly so, had some rubberized tread in an old box. :huh: :dunno: I'm hoping the fact that I used MDF instead of BB ply for the sled base, and pine instead of hardwood for the "riser blocks", won't be detriment. The dimensions of this particular sled are 55" long by 12" wide. Here it is ready for it's maiden voyage...with a 54"x11.5" piece of white oak...

2374327913_ef0343f6ed.jpg

You might notice the one thing I forgot to do before using it...which I discovered after the first pass through the planer. I didn't add the drywall screws to hold the wedges in place. I can now see why those are mandatory! :doh:

The sled worked really well. There will be a bit of a learning curve with the best way to get the sled from the back to the front, but that's really no big deal.

Thanks VERY MUCH, Glenn...for the passive-aggresive kick in the pants to solve a problem with an outside the box solution. :thumb:

- Keith

Last edited: