Finial Box

Well I have sat and viewed Cindy Drozda's Fabulous Finial Box for a couple of days and decided yesterday was time to get down to business. This is my version of the box she made on her DVD. It is mahogany with a maple inlay and maple foot. Box hollowed out to 3/16" thick walls. It is finished with lacquer and buffed. Overall 5 1/4" tall and 3" across. I was really quite pleased for my first try. I have several idea's for several others as time permits. Sorry for the pictures as I had to take them fast as my work just called me out and my tent is down because of painting the room. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Finial Box 1.jpg
    Finial Box 1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Finial Box 3.jpg
    Finial Box 3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Finial Box 4.jpg
    Finial Box 4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 36
Wow! man, if this was your first try I wonder what we will see on your tenth piece.

Maybe the guys that do flatwork, (including myself) should take the challenge
and start posting more projects! You round minded guys (no offence intended) are too good for us!:thumb:

I'd like to see more...

Thanks for the comments. That one was fun. If you don't have her DVD's they are great. She not only shows you how but explains every step she does. Her first one is making the finial and the second one is making the whole thing. Stu you are going to love it. She is definitely one of the demo's I am going to go see at the AAW Symposium in Richmond in June.

Wow Bernie .... this is pretty nice. I'll bet there's a lot more work in this than a person might think just from looking at it. I'll bet that "I was really quite pleased" might be a bit of an understatement? Maybe a bit of a "Yippee!" or a "Woo-Hoo!" escaped when the last bit of polishing was done:)?

cheers eh?

Bernie, perfect, perfect, also for the finial, very well excecuted.
One advice, take also a look to the finials from Pam Reilly, she's one of the best boxmakers in the USA. I learned from her how to make finials, still I'm not so good in making finials as Pam.
Great work Bernie!! :thumb:

Bernie, perfect, perfect, also for the finial, very well excecuted.
One advice, take also a look to the finials from Pam Reilly, she's one of the best boxmakers in the USA. I learned from her how to make finials, still I'm not so good in making finials as Pam.
Great work Bernie!! :thumb:

Ad where can I find some info on her? Thanks.

Ad where can I find some info on her? Thanks.

Bernie,
Pam Reilly's website: http://turnedoutfantastic.home.att.net
I had a corresponding for two years with Pam, she's a fantastic woodturner, with the right feeling in her fingertips. For me a real pity that I had to let her go, but I had not another choice (a long story). Still she's my big favorite.

Have fun with visiting Pam's website.

Ad

I love her work. Not too keen on the foot on this one, the rest is gorgeous though. Personally I am struggling with this sort of thing, combines boxes and finials, two things you have obviously mastered better than me:(

I think I am going to have evict the moths from my wallet and invest in some of the DVD's as I don't get to see anay turners in real life. If it works as well for me as for you I'll be happy.

Pete

Thanks again. Pete, Cindy Drozda has two DVD's out. One is called Elegant Finials. In it she explains how she goes about getting the right size of finial for the project she is turning for and then turns a finial explaining every step of the way. The other one is Fabulous Finial Box she takes you thru turning the box with inlay and how she sizes the finial up to match the box. Pete I think this box was a little bigger than the one she did and I should have made a bigger foot for it. Oh well the LOML loves it and it is on her dresser so I guess all is good.

Ad that is a great site. She has some wonderful pieces. Thanks for the address.

Last edited: