NEW liquid hide glue?

larry merlau

any one got any expierence with it? saw it listed in a catalog, and they were telling how strong of a bond it has.. it was made by tite bond.. any differnt in relationship to showing up under finish? it appeared to be darker color than normal pva glue and longer working time.

I've used it, and I like it. It's adequately strong (stronger than the wood it joins) and it finishes well. Longer open time than PVA's, too.

My real preference is for "Old Brown Glue" though. Costs a bit more than the Titebond, but just seems nicer to work with, and is supposedly stronger yet.

They advertise in Fine WW, and maybe other mags, or: http://www.oldbrownglue.com/

Interesting ad for OBG.
In the ad, he said, "One of the "secrets" of the trade was the fact that the addition of urea to animal protein glue would lower its gel point, making it set slower and keeping it liquid at room temperature."
Uh...does that mean the olde timers would....uh....relieve themselves into the glue pot?

Interesting ad for OBG.
In the ad, he said, "One of the "secrets" of the trade was the fact that the addition of urea to animal protein glue would lower its gel point, making it set slower and keeping it liquid at room temperature."
Uh...does that mean the olde timers would....uh....relieve themselves into the glue pot?

[size=+1]My guess is that that's how it was discovered/got started. Hey, it was a long walk to the outhouse! :eek:[/size]

jim do you use for everything then or just certian projects? and do you heat it or use it at room temp???? what i was trying to say in the finish aspect is with the pva you finish over a area with a glue spot un seen by normal vision and it shows up big time does that happen with OBG as well? i know i am supposed to ck with MS or Such but we all hurry things at times:)

jim do you use for everything then or just certain projects? and do you heat it or use it at room temp???? what i was trying to say in the finish aspect is with the pva you finish over a area with a glue spot un seen by normal vision and it shows up big time does that happen with OBG as well? i know i am supposed to ck with MS or Such but we all hurry things at times:)

I still use Titebond, too, but the OBG is better for complicated stuff where more open time is needed, or if you don't mind clamping for a longer time. Most of my glue-ups stay in the clamps overnight anyway, so that's not really a factor with me - just worth mentioning in case you're in a hurry. ;)

OBG - or any hide glue shows less under a finish than any PVA does - but it still shows.

I generally use it at room temperature, but on cool days, or when the shop heat has been off for a while, I put it in the microwave for a few seconds - just enough to get it up to around room temp or slightly above. A water bath would also bring the temp up, but the microwave is there, and it's faster, so... :D

Supposedly OBG will last longer if you refrigerate it, but I don't. I just keep it on the shelf, at the ready. I've never had any go bad. A pint bottle lasts me maybe six months before it's used up.