Temporary shop

Yann Arbour

Ok so this is a temporary installation because when spring get here all the tools go back into the shed. (It was kinda cold working in there at minus 35 centigrade.:D) And also because my wife wants to move the living room down here. So here goes.

shop left.jpg

On the left you can see my miter saw set up on it's stand, directly ahead is my workbench with a few tools stored underneath. Don't mind the washer/dryer we just got a new set and I didn't want to throw out the old ones. At the far back are the stairs to the left of the Canadian flag.

You can also see the the bench where my 2 1/2 year old stands to watch his dad "travailler le bois" (working on wood), he also loves playing in the scrap bin. (Which is hidden by the washer)

shop rear right.jpg

Shot of my miter saw at the rear

shop right.jpg

I moved a bit for this shot apparently but you still can see the miter saw and the lathe that I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Some of the tools under the workbench aren't mine but their current owners doesn't need them right now so that works for me. I work with one tool and when I'm done I store It underneath the workbench and take out the next one. It's a crude system but it works for me. (for now:D)

Well it ain't much yet but I'm still young and a MASSIVE upgrade to the shed is planned for either this year or the next. If I could just get my hands on some nice wood to make a good workbench...

Yann, I feel your pain my friend. I have had several lousy shops and a few temporary ones to boot. My longest running "temp shop" was in a spare bedroom in my house.It was only 12 x 16 feet,and every time I did anything in there, I trailed sawdust through the house. That really sucked.

Another temp shop was located in a an old hunting camp we had. That did not last long as it was located inside an old graveyard, and was kind of spooky. It only had 60 amps of power, fused,and the old radial arm saw would kick fuses on occassion. That sucked as well.

The shop I have now is a wee bit small at 12 x 24, but its set up right. Hang in there my friend, you'll get a shop of decent sized soon enough.:thumb:

Hey, where there's a will, there's a way. You've obviously got the will, and you found a way. ;) So I'm guessing your shop upgrade plans include some heat?

I had to look up your location to see where you're dealing with minus 36C temps. Looks like you don't have a lot of traffic lights in Field, huh? (But it does look like you won't have to go far to find wood for the shop.) ;)

Travis :
You're right, trailing sawdust is no fun but when LOML wants something done she has do deal with it and understands she can't have everything.

Vaughn :
You're right on two count and half right on the third. Shop upgrade plans do include some form of heat and the wood can be easy to find. Traffic lights are few but relative to the population of this small town I'd say there's a lot.

Stu :
The Ridgid SCMS doesn't only look like a monster it IS a monster. The saw alone is 75 lbs and add another 80 for the stand. In it's stored position the saw is still 37 inches deep. I'm glad I bought the stand for it because when it's not in use it can be stored upright and out of the way.