Delta 14-207 Drillpress

Bob Wiggins;97934Maybe I'm missing something on keyless chucks When push comes to shove I've never seen one that didn't slip. I'm sure there are different quality chucks but would someone please give away their secret.[/QUOTE said:
If your budget is high enough, an Albrecht keyless actually tightens under stress, yet is still easy to remove by hand. It'll set you back a couple hundred bucks, though.

A cheaper alternative is the Albrecht knock-off that Enco sells. You can get that one for about $50.00, and it's a really nice, well made chuck.

Hi guys and thanks,

Jim. Who is Enco?

The one-handed keyless chuck on my Ridgid 3/8" drill is a dream. I have never been able to make it slip. I have also been happy I didn't break an arm when we reached max. Of course, I am a fly-weight so it isn't much bragging when I say that I can't stop it.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine putting any more torque on a drill mechanism, while working with wood, than I can put on it with my 3/8" Ridgid hand drill. I just tighten it with one hand, it goes click and the drill is tight. Easy to release also.

At this point I think I will try, in order:

1. Metal band with pulley. This one sounds easy. If it does not work I have little expense except time.

2. If #1 does not work I will try Easy Rider or go back to my original plan---sell the Delta and buy a new DP.

Thanks again for the stimulus and the ideas!

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim, you live in woodworking heaven. I used to live in Ramona (25 years until 2004).

Here are some local resources that you may or may not know about. Palomar College in San Marcos - a pretty good woodworking program.

North County Woodworking Club - meets in Escondido, or I think they still do. I was a founding member.

San Diego Fine Woodworkers. They meet in Kearney Mesa.

I suggest you hook up with some woodworking buddies in the area. Not that you can't get good help here, but that you can get local face-to-face help and make some new friends.

And about your drill press. Hang onto it. You can't buy a better one. You can make the table electrically driven up and down with a linear motor.

I used three of them in a pulpit I built for a pastor friend in a wheel chair. They lifted the missal board, moved it in and out and tilted it to the right reading angle. I bought them for $100 a piece, added some switches and was good to go.

If I had your drill press, that's what I would do. I'm just a wimpy female with a trick back as the result of an auto accident, so I understand your problem.

If you want to look further into that possible solution, let me know. I'll dig out the resources and sketch up a plan and a wiring diagram for you.

Hi Carol,

Yes, this is living in Heaven. I have been a member of the woodworking club in Escondido. I did not renew this year. They meet on third Thursday. I have continuing education every third Thursday. If I miss the continuing education and have to get it elsewhere it would cost me $500.oo. That is too pricy for me to miss.

I am aware that Palomar College has an excellent woodworking setup. I did see a program put on by the man that teaches finishing. It was excellent.

If I ever, finally, retire, I will certainly rejoin the woodworking club. Problem is that I really enjoy my work and probably won't retire until I don't function. I don't think a non-functioning woodworker is a safe woodworker.

Enjoy,

Jim

I don't think a non-functioning woodworker is a safe woodworker.

No kidding!

The finishing guru would be Russ Filbeck. I taught at Palomar for a few years back in the '90's.

Yeppers. SD County is heaven on a lot of fronts, including woodworking. And I understand about doing work you love. Mine took me away from your part of the world. Maybe someday it will bring me back. I do get homesick from time to time.