Smocks.........??

Bill, you are asking the same questions as I am. Here in the summer it is HOT, in the winter it gets cool, so I'm thinking that the short sleeved AAW smock might do the trick, in the winter, just wear a long sleeved work shirt.

I do have to say that the leather turner's apron does address a lot of these issues as well.

On pockets, the smocks mostly have them on the back side, so they don't get full of chips, the ones that do have a chest pocket on the front seem to have a flap.

Cheers!

This is what I have for under the short sleeves smock. They are child's old jeans legs with elastic sewed on top and bottom. I think when it get caught, it may just pull off. No guarantee on that.
74329617.jpg

Who ever thought a woodturning post would turn into a three pages of fashion entries! :rofl: THE LATEST TOOLS, THE LATEST FASHIONS.. :D

Somewhere on a forum I read where a guy recommended those smocks, smocks. smocks (love it) that surgeons wear. Light weight, snug at all the outlets and disposable when too dirty.

Last edited:
I originally purchase a medium weight version of the Lovell Brand, my daughter ( a freelance fashion designer) subsequently made me a few more in different weights of cloth for summer/winter use.

Like these

One thing to watch out for is that the central front Zip is apt to mark items when handling off the lathe.

My daughter modified her efforts to incorporate a facing to cover the zip.

Ya-know, this got me to thinkin' (hurts sometimes but I keep trying) :eek:

I just might pay a visit to the Thrift Store on Monday. Last time I was in there I saw some XXLg Denim Shirts, Would make a nifty slip on Shirt-Jacket. Might serve well as a "Smock" for turning and such.

You could try a welding supply and get a leather welders apron. If you want to look real spiffy you can get the one that turns into chaps below the waist and snaps around your legs. They are suede so I don't know how much of a chip magnet they would be. I do have the first generation AAW smock that my wife split up the front and added a full length zipper. Haven't washed it, just shake the crap out of it or bang it against the side of the garage. 8 years and still going strong.

Stu,

I have two of each: AAW and Sorby. The first is short sleeved for the summer and the second is for winter turning. They work fine, but as Bernie said, the AAW one is a bit flimsy and constantly catches at the zipper. The Sorby's is heavy duty and can be washed frequently. I got tired of fishing chips out of my shirt and these do the job.
Luck, Hilel.

I don't use a smock, it's such a funny word :D

in winter I usually turn in a flannel shirt buttoned at the collar... every so often I have to stop, empty the pocket, and take it off and shake it really good to get the sawdust off it or a long sleeve sweatshirt...
in summer, just a tee shirt.

When I was in Houston, more often than not, no shirt at all...my little shop didn't have ventelation and it was usually 100++ plus humidity of 90++ ..
just brush off the belly.

Shirt

All I use is a $7.00 mock turtleneck. It's light, it breaths, and it's cheap. No chips down the shirt, and it's really comfotable. Plus, in warm weather you could cut the sleeves off.

Hutch

Home Made

I'm with Bill here. I went to the local Thrift Shop and picked up a cheap nylon windbreaker with a collar that zips all the way up my neck. I had my wife tighten up the left sleeve to keep it from being too lose. Chips slide right off, big pockets, washable and cheap. Doesn't breath real well though, gets a little sweaty in warm weather. An extra fleece shirt in the winter is warm enough. I also have a nylon vest with zip up collar for demos when I want to set a good safety example. You know, "Do as I say, not as I do." :D

Even though I have smocks, Bill gave me an idea and I went trolling for a coolmax or similar long sleeve shirt. In the summertime, something that breathes (neither the sorby nor the AAW do) sounds like a winner.
Hilel.

I like to wear a t-shirt with a pocket and some cargo pants with all the flaps stuck down inside the pockets. Drives the wife crazy.

I was thinking along these lines... :wave:

1220.jpg

I like the full length as it provides some protection for the legs (from filth) and you can remove and leave the accumulated filth in the shop when you return to the real world, wipe your feet and shuffle on out the door. :thumb:

The elastic cuffs keep the chips from scurrying up your arms.

And the price ain't bad...
http://www.labcoatsusa.com/RedKap-Elastic-Sleeve-Lab-Coat_W27-KP72.html :p

I like those, Bill. The only thing I wouldn't like is that there a couple of front pockets. :huh:
I suppose you could have someone sew them shut so they couldn't fill up with wood chips, or just run a bead of CA glue along the top to seal it up.:) :dunno:

I don't use a smock, it's such a funny word :D

in winter I usually turn in a flannel shirt buttoned at the collar... every so often I have to stop, empty the pocket, and take it off and shake it really good to get the sawdust off it or a long sleeve sweatshirt...
in summer, just a tee shirt.

When I was in Houston, more often than not, no shirt at all...my little shop didn't have ventelation and it was usually 100++ plus humidity of 90++ ..
just brush off the belly.

Now that I have smarted off and shown my rear end, I probably will have to find some sort of protection for future.. I was turning some mixed woods this past week... I had some peppermill billets glued up that had a wood called Muirapixuna (in the pea and legume family) and according to the internet can cause skin irritations... I can testify that it probably does... I woke up yesterday morning with my left eye almost swollen shut, my left cheek swollen and puffy, my right eye puffy and both running like faucets and a major rash on my upper chest where evidently the sanding dust wicked through my tee-shirt. Even though I was sanding almost directly into the mouth of my DC, a certain amount still settles over everything else. I'm sure between the sanding dust and the shavings off the blanks, I got a good dose. Plus I used about 1/2 a bottle of thin CA to try to stabilize one of the woods I had glued into the billet, which may also have contributed to the swollen eyes... it won't protect the eyes from fumes, but I'm thinking real, real hard about getting something to shed the sawdust.