Making Things Round

Stuart Ablett

With the last batch of Ginko wood cluttering up my Dungeon, I wanted to show you guys how I make my squares round, ideas, suggestions, comments welcome! :thumb:

resaw_sled.jpg
OK, here is a little resaw sled that I built today, took about 30 minutes. Works good, but I understand it is disposable.

not_round_blank.jpg
Here is a chunk of not round Ginko wood to be cut into a round bowl blank.

NR_blank_in_sled.jpg
I've now mounted it in the sled, the two end pieces slide in a t-track, and then I use at least three good screws to hold the wood

nr_blank_to_be_cut.jpg
Ready to make my first cut

nr_blank_one_cut.jpg
First cut done! :thumb:

nr_blank_barkside_sled.jpg
Now I've mounted it up so I can trim the bark off

nrblank_barkside_cut.jpg
That side is now flat, so I have a flat(ish) one four sides blank, I can now make round(ish).

scribing_a_circle.jpg
Using my sharp dividers to scribe a circle in the wood

roundish.jpg
Now Big Blue gets to nibble away at the blank making it round)ish

signed_sealed_dated.jpg
There we go, signed, sealed and dated, I only have about another 20 or so to go!

Cheers!

watch your fingers stu! even with screws holding the blank to your jig if the blade catches with the wood above the table it`ll slam the blank into the table:eek: .....probably won`t hurt that big ol` blade but it`ll make ya` pay attention.....tod

Well, that is true, but I was doing this Maloof style (FREE HAND!!) and one got away from me, and it did put "Dimple" in the blade :eek:

The way I do it now, there is almost always a flat on the bottom, so I think it is fairly safe, but yeah, I hear you, I push on the back of the jig, and use one of them hand help push pad things on the face.

Makes a lot of cut offs, going to the garbage stuff.

Man I'm going to have a lot of wood to turn! :thumb: :D

Everytime I see the size of that blade on Big Blue...I am in awe..and shudder a bit thinking what cuts it makes.:eek:

Do be careful.

Greg
I dunno Greg, I'd think it might be the little 1/4" blades that'll lull you into a false sense of security before biting you, and they bite flesh just as hard and deep as a 2 incher. At least with Stu's blade, it's hard to miss seeing it. It is a wicked looking thing, though. ;)

Some of us have lathes that work ;) :D :rofl:

Check out this thread Frank...........

Hunka Hunka Turning Love!

Dunno if you would have tried this on your old lahte.........PS when is the new one coming? :D

New one? I wish. Put on back burner after the Dodge truck gave unexpected fits this year.:(
The ginko pot looks good. We have a few ginko trees here but none are very big and are usually planted for decorative purposes so not much, if any, of the wood is available for turning.