Total Frustration- Buying a new TV

Jeff Horton

We have the same console TV we bought right after we got married. Needless to say it has been an EXCELLENT
TV. Only in the shop 2 or 3 times. We have been talking about a new one for some time. We saved the cash up to buy one some time ago. We would price and get overwhelmed trying to decide and give up. Well, prices keep falling and selections are better and the LCD has found favor in the market, so we finally said it's time.

Did my home work and settled on a Samsung 32". Start watching for deals on the price grabbing web sites two weeks or more ago. Two places had it for $699. Well within what we have saved, great! We talked about it that night. Two of three days latter we sat down to order one. Woops, out of stock. Everyone else was $50 or so higher.

To keep this short no one has had that good of a deal again. OK, so we decided to go ahead. Obviously messed up and not going to get that deal again. Two vendors have it at $729 with free shipping. OK, $30 isn't much on this price item. Go to order. :bang: OUT OF STOCK!

I check prices every day a couple of times. Saw it again yesterday at one of the dealers with a good rep. Call the Chief Financial Officer and went to order. Out of stock! This must be one heck of a good TV!! No one can keep it in stock.

This morning we talked some more. Circuit City always has it, just have horrible reviews on their customer service. Like 2 out of 5 stars bad! CFO works near a store and we decide to bite the bullet, pay the sales tax and pick it up. We are tired of a month of looking. Decided to pay by Credit Card in case there is a problem. We can just pay it off when it come in. I go to place the order online. :bang::bang::bang::bang: Yup. Out of stock at that store. It's in stock at the ones 50+ miles away. I give up!

Last edited:
I bought a 32" Samsung HD with the built in DVD player 2 years ago. It hangs on the wall in our bedroom. It's a good set and the picture is very good.

When I had my own shop, I used to give people a really good deal on stuff I was out of stock on. ;):D

Surely you must have something other than CC in your area? Lately I've found that the local independent dealer can get very close to the BORG prices and give much better service before and after the sale.

Karl

Bide your time Jeff - in a few months it will be in stock at half price!:rolleyes::D:D
Seriously though, I don't know the buying cycles for TV's, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this season is low ebb. Everyone is focused on outdoor spring stuff so stocking TV's isn't high priority right now.
Stay patient - it will be less than $699 and will be back in stock soon.:thumb:

Wes

Still in the stone age when it comes to TV's.

We recently bought a Polaroid 32" LCD at WalMart for $683.00, and our local store still has them. When compared side-by-side with the others, it had the best picture, and the price was right. We're thinking about getting another one for the bedroom, if it will fit into the entertainment center we built. The RCA in there is 19 years old!!

Wes we live in a small town (by choice) so selection is very limited. WalMart is about it. Well the rent to own places but....:rolleyes: NO WAY! Not even setting foot in those places.

After looking and reading the reviews I am set on this TV. It has about the best reviews I have seen. One site has over 100 reviews on it and 99% positive. Having seem a similar Samsung in person it was on the short list of brands we liked to start with. Polaroid was one but I didn't like the reviews as well on it.

Good news is I just got an email alert from one of the vendors it was back in stock an hour ago. I didn't waste time and just ordered it!

Jeff,

That's what Amazon's for... ;) Just checked shipping cost for a 32" samsung unit there, it was $29. Not bad, really... ;) especially since I'd heard there's no sales tax... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

When LOML and I bought this house and moved in together, I told her I wanted to get a big screen TV. My previous house was set up with a nice surround sound system, and I even bought new JBL speakers for the new house. Still, she balked at spending the money on a new TV; my 32" Sony was working fine. (She's got her own TV in "her" room, so the TV in the living room didn't mean much to her.)

Fast forward a few years, and I still have the same TV, and haven't even installed the rear speakers for the surround sound system. Turns out, I watch almost no TV nowadays. Maybe an hour a month at the max. And I've spent way more on woodworking tools than a new TV would have cost me. ;)

Turns out, I watch almost no TV nowadays. Maybe an hour a month at the max. ;)

did you notice brain function return?.......how about loosing the desire to eat junkfood? or having to have the latest-n-greatest gizmo to help clean your toilet:rolleyes:.......
at least with woodbutcherie you`ve got something to show for your time-n-money.

I'm with Tod. I have no TV service; no cable, no dish, no antenna. My last DVD player broke down a year ago last Christmas and I haven't bought a new one yet. The TV's just sit there. The lack of a boob-tube helps keep me from getting distracted and eliminates the primary cause of an increasing waistline.

did you notice brain function return?...
That's assuming there was some to begin with. Big assumption there, Bud. :)

....how about loosing the desire to eat junkfood?
Nah, that's stayed constant. :p Takeout food and sugared, caffeinated beverages have made me the man I am today.

or having to have the latest-n-greatest gizmo to help clean your toilet:rolleyes:...
No need...I already married her. :D

...at least with woodbutcherie you`ve got something to show for your time-n-money.
Can't argue with that one. ;)

Jeff, I hope you get the one you want, finally!

I do have to agree with Tod, I watch maybe an hour a week (Turning DVDs in the Dungeon don't count!) and since we put a coin operated thing like in a motel on the TV the kids watch WAY less TV and now read books :eek:

We give them each 500 yen a week in TV allowance, 100 yen gives you 1 hour, they can spend it to watch what they want, or they can save it, they seldom spend the whole 500 yen on the TV. They will not say "Do I really want to spend MY 100 yen on this stupid TV program.....?" and more often than not, they say "Naw, I'll read a book etc instead" :D

Works for us! :wave:

Bill, Amazon is the one of the highest one's right now on this TV. They were one of the two that had the $699 price and free shipping I missed. Didn't realize that was a great deal at the time.

I don't watch a lot of TV but I do enjoy it. And if you have followed one of my machine restorations you know I obviously don't veg it front of it all the time. ;)