50% off Freud HD Multi-Purpose Saw Blade

I sure wish someone would sound off about this blade if they have ANY experience with it. I would mostly be interested in how it cuts and holds up cutting MDF and Melamine products, (and other material too of course), but I would like to have an "Economically Priced" blade for a number of anticipated projects, (shop related) that will use a good amount of MDF. If they are real good blades, I might need two.:D

Last edited:
I sure wish someone would sound off about this blade if they have ANY experience with it. I would mostly be interested in how it cuts and holds up cutting MDF and Melamine products, (and other material too of course), but I would like to have an "Economically Priced" blade for a number of anticipated projects, (shop related) that will use a good amount of MDF. If they are real good blades, I might need two.:D

Hi Norman - MDF and melamine are exactly where this blade's strengths are. For hardwood and plywood use, I'm not real impressed with it for my uses...it's bogs more than some, doesn't cut as cleanly as others, but the triple chip grind should hold up well in MDF, laminates, and melamine.

Hi Norman - MDF and melamine are exactly where this blade's strengths are. For hardwood and plywood use, I'm not real impressed with it for my uses...it's bogs more than some, doesn't cut as cleanly as others, but the triple chip grind should hold up well in MDF, laminates, and melamine.

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply, as that's just the information I needed. I finally remembered and found your old post about the sawblades and from your chart and explanation there I suspected it would do what I need it to do, so........now to get one ordered.:D

Thanks again.

Annnnnd......before I forget it, Thanks Chris for the heads up on this, (I ordered two after all).

Last edited:
Norm,
for Melamine you'd be happier with a LU80R010. It's a bit more expensive, but the cut quality is far better in both Melamine and plywood. I have both blades and I can tell you the LU80R010 With a ZCI has less chip out in both ply and Melamine. It's a great blade for crosscuts also. You just can't expect a general duty blade to perform as well as a dedicated purpose blade.

Mike

Take a look at what Freud says about each:

LU82M010
LU82MRecommend.jpg

LU80R010
LU80_recomended.jpg

Attachments

• freud_60.jpg
    freud_60.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
  • LU96.gif
    LU96.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 4
Norm,
for Melamine you'd be happier with a LU80R010. It's a bit more expensive, but the cut quality is far better in both Melamine and plywood. I have both blades and I can tell you the LU80R010 With a ZCI has less chip out in both ply and Melamine. It's a great blade for crosscuts also. You just can't expect a general duty blade to perform as well as a dedicated purpose blade.

Thanks for the additional info Mike. It's too late now since I already ordered two of them, but for what I have in mind for them, they should do ok, 'cause a little chipping won't really matter, (and they fit my current budget):D I have a Freud ripping blade that cuts it smooth as glass if I really need to use it, but for a lot of cuts I would like to "Save" the more expensive blades when looks won't matter.