Freecycle experiment

We've given lots of landscaping away on Freecycle. It even kept us from digging it up! I had a dishwasher I was going to get from someone one time, but they lost our email and sold it to someone! I thought that was a little rude. Otherwise, it's a good deal, both ways! Jim.

text of my post

Here's the ad I posted on one of the two, the other was similar

WANTED: Downed Trees or Logs for woodworking on the lathe
Do you have any recently downed trees that you're looking to get rid
of? I've recently bought a lathe, and am looking for turning stock to
learn with. Any species will do, any size (up to a point, I don't have
a chainsaw, but if it is already cut up it will work). Newly downed
or 'wet' wood works better for turning than older wood 'dry'. I'll
gladly pick up any that you're willing to part with, even just a couple
of pieces will help. Thanks for looking!​

Ned,

This is neat. I really didn't know that this group existed. So.... I checked and there is a group right here in my town! I joined! This should be fun. Thanks for the post.

Just sitting here thinking that it must really suck to have to look for wood on freecycle. When you are like me or Travis if you need a tree you just go cut one. If you want it spalted you just leave it out for awhile. If you want a burl you just look a little harder.I don't have the acreage Travis does but I have axes to a far amount of land to cut on.:thumb:
Some times you need a post like this to remind us of some of the simple things that are readily availably in some places and have to be searched for in others.
Good luck on your quest Ned:wave:

Chuck, it is a bit of a challenge here in the big city, and I'm envious of you guys who can just go out back and grab something.

Ned, if the Freecycle idea doesn't pan out, have you looked for local firewood lots? That's worked for me.

Just got an offer from a local couple, just one town over from me, who have both pine and some hardwoods, and even offered to help me cut just what I want, using their chainsaw!

I've also spotted a bunch of downed trees, but haven't chosen to stop and ask about obtaining a couple of logs.

Chuck,
I live 'rural', but other than a few black ash trees on our property, I don't have any turning stock available, short of the kindness of others. I'd be very happy to have a plot of land with some timber on it.

Vaughn, I'll see what I can find on that front as well. thanks for the tip!

You should get a few offers, but mostly you'll get people wanting you to come over to cut down a tree or offer you small branches that fell during the winter. I tried the same thing once and got all kinds of different offers. I always made a drive by before I actually stopped.
Good luck, I hope yours works out good.

You should get a few offers, but mostly you'll get people wanting you to come over to cut down a tree or offer you small branches that fell during the winter. I tried the same thing once and got all kinds of different offers. I always made a drive by before I actually stopped.
Good luck, I hope yours works out good.

so far just the one offer, but I did state In my posts that I was looking for already downed wood only, since I don't have a chainsaw (yet).