Modify dowel size

Lee Laird

Does anyone have a tip on re-sizing existing dowels? I bought six 3ft. long hardwood dowels (cherry, walnut and birch) that are all labeled 1/4". The birch is slightly oversized, the cherry is really oversized and the walnut is just about right on. I just built a small table out of walnut with M/T joints and wanted to use some nice contrasting dowels as pins through the glued joint. I cut a test hole in a scrap piece of wood and tested the birch dowels which seemed like they would work. After drilling the holes in my table legs the dowels are too thick. Test piece wasn't as hard as actual project wood!:doh: I'd like to be able to take off a consistently small amount to sneak up on the fit and not have any gaps afterwards. One more thing, I've already cut the dowels into small pieces (about 2" long) that are the proper length for the holes I drilled.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

What if you put a test dowel in the microwave and nuke if for a minute or so to lessen MC and shrink the thickness? Dunno

Greg, Still haven't added the lathe to the shop, yet.

Chuck, Thought about that, too, but the 5/16" was too large. Might have to look for one closer to a 32nd or 64th oversized.

Mike, I tried a poor man's version of that last night. Drilled the hole in some hard wood and pounded them each through. Thought that compression might just make it work. I can start to get them in but still too tight. Maybe I've got some old iron I can use???

Jack, I'll try nuking one of the already compressed dowels and see what it does.

Thanks to each of you for your great ideas. I really love this forum.

Mike, I tried a poor man's version of that last night. Drilled the hole in some hard wood and pounded them each through. Thought that compression might just make it work. I can start to get them in but still too tight. Maybe I've got some old iron I can use???
You have to use steel - the steel is not compressing the dowel, it's cutting it. See John D's post for ideas.

Mike

Guys,

I decided to try what seemed to be the easiest and quickest, first. I put one of the dowels into the microwave and hit it for a minute as per Jack's suggestion. Was just what the doctor ordered. Fits like a charm. Why didn't I think of that??

Thanks again to all for the great ideas. Logging away the ones I haven't tried yet. I'll post a pic or two of the table in the near future.

I snapped a picture after having the first successfully sized pin glued in place. Just so it really happened. ;) I'll post a couple when the table is complete and with finish.

Attachments

• Desk first pin2.jpg
    Desk first pin2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 37
Update with photo - Modify dowel size

Forgot to provide a title showing a change. :doh: Oops. Second attempt.

Attachments

• Desk first pin2.jpg
    Desk first pin2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 9
Glad it worked out for you, but if this should ever happen again, you should know that Greg's idea could have worked, but without the lathe. People often forget that a drill press is a lathe turned on its end. Because you already cut the dowels to length, you would have had to chuck the dowel in the drill press, sanded one half of it down to size, then flipped it over and do the other half.

Travis,

Thanks for the tip. I've got a drill press and it crossed my mind fleetingly since the dowels were already so short.

I thought everyone's suggestions on this subject had merit. I just picked the suggestion that seemed to provide the consistency with the least work and time required.

The members of this forum are such a valuable tool. Glad I could tap into this pool of experience. Really saved me a great deal of time and aggravation. My hair is thin enough, already.

Regards.

This is a great place...I don't think anyone feels slighted because you did not chose one over the other.

The one piece of advice I hope to pass onto Alyson is the need to have options in her life. It does not matter what it is, whether it is picking a career, a place to live or choosing a husband, its always best to have options.

I think everyone here does that...presents options to a problem...and that is what makes it great.

Sound input, plus no negative nasty comments, equals a great forum in my opinion. Pretty simple math...

You know what works for me is those Drill indexes that they send out each time they want you 6to re-up a mag subscription. You can identify exactly which drill fits the right dowel and so forth or select the correct dowel when you buy them. I carry one (I got a bunch) in my truck and IfI go in to buy dowels I use the index to see if they are the correct size, Metric or SAE or some made-up size...

Getting closer to completion

Guys,

You rock! :D Hope I can reciprocate in the future. I've attached a pic of the now completed base for the table. Just have to finish the top and attach.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Walnut with first coat2.jpg
    Walnut with first coat2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 16
Greg,

Thanks. First table I've made actually using some nice hardwood and MT joinery. Finally got some accurate equipment and what a difference. Didn't want to waste the nice woods with the cuts my old table saw would spit out.

Now I'm wondering, do I have to move my microwave out next to my drill press?? ;)