Lathe cabinet height

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at building a new stand/cabinet for my lathe. The one it came with was welded up out of scrap metal and isn't very square so it tends to wobble. The new cabinet will be on wheels with plenty of storage.

My question is...What is the standard height for lathe stands? I'm a little over 6' tall and I'm wanting it to be a comfortable height. Can some of you post the heights of your cabinets or to the lathes center line. I've got a 12" Craftsman lathe.

Thanks,

Not a simple answer.

Generally, you want the spindle of you lathe to be at about the same height as you hand if you were sticking it out to shake hands with someone the same height as yourself.

But....... :rolleyes:

Depends on what you turn, people who do a lot of small stuff, usually benefit from having the lathe higher than that, less crouching over, but people who do a lot of big stuff, can benefit from having the lathe slightly lower. I'd shoot for the middle, but make sure you have allowed yourself some way to adjust the unit up and down.

One more thing, make sure that you have a way to let the curlies out from between the ways of your lathe, that is the mistake I made on my stand, I have to dig out the curlies that get between the ways, I wish I'd raised the mounting points off the surface of the stand another inch :doh:

Cheers!

Darren,

Don't do what I did. Mine was too tall, and that was before I put it on wheels. I built it before I got the lathe delivered. The stand itself is 35, plus 4" wheels, add in the spindle height and its up to 52. WAY too high. Believe it or not, I scratch my head and stare, but can't figure out an easy way to raise it, get the wheels off, and then lower it again. Yikes! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Many turners have their lathes with the centers at about 40". I don't understand that. I'm only 5'7" and need my center at about 44" to prevent bending over and ending a turning session with a tired and sore back. Just do some pretend turning standing comfortably, note where your hands and tools are and make the bench so spindle height is at that point. Thets my tuppance.

Bill
Easy Fix, make a wooden platform to stand on. In essence you lowered your spindle height. Your feet will thank you too.

Well, thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like about elbow height, but may put it on a temporary top and play with the height some before committing to the whole cabinet.

Thanks again,

I never thought about this, just used the height I have. Makes sense to think about the height espically if you spend a long time over the lathe. I am picturing a lathe stand for my new lathe that can have the height adjusted. Shouldn't be to difficult for a mini size lathe.

can't figure out an easy way to raise it, get the wheels off, and then lower it again.

Bill,
If you have a solid enough, accessible set of rafters above the lathe you might consider renting -borrowing?- a block and tackle to lift it.:dunno: :huh:
Guess it depends how important it is to get it lowered. The wood platform idea is a good one.

My original lathe was set up for the 'elbow height' norm often quoted, having the same problem as Stu with trapped shavings I added some 3" spacer blocks and was surprised how much better I got on with my turning and a realisation that my back was more comfortable at the end of a long session.

Consequently my later machine was raised from the start and chuck centre line is some 4 1/2" above my elbow height.

I don't think this means that my tool approach angles differ all that much, just the attack position around the circumference may be a little different to 'the book'.

This is one I built, the height is determined on your height and preferances. The benchmark is that the spindle should be at the level of your elbow. Each of us prefer somewhere at, above, or below that elevation. Be sure and consider the caster height when you plan.

Each of the drawers are shallow and accomidate my multitude of far too many chisels and gouges. Als one has the measuring tools and attachments, The cabinet holds the chucks and sharpening devices.

Attachments

• P1000664s.jpg
    P1000664s.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 23