The long awaited pic

Chuck Thoits

Went down today and got the new to me lathe. The second pic is the parts off my second lathe that is again for sale at the tool store.

Last edited:
Man, I'm late...there are already two wisecracks about the salad bar and the sneeze guard. :doh:

Bigtime congrats, Chuck. That's a fine-looking lathe. :thumb:

Being one who is dizzy enough without spinning my work pieces, I don't know about this stuff :huh:. Are the sneeze guards like the factory table saw guards and normally taken off or replaced by after market stuff? Or am I just so out of it when it comes to turning that I have missed the joke completely :doh:? Help a flathed out will you gang?

Being one who is dizzy enough without spinning my work pieces, I don't know about this stuff :huh:. Are the sneeze guards like the factory table saw guards and normally taken off or replaced by after market stuff? Or am I just so out of it when it comes to turning that I have missed the joke completely :doh:? Help a flathed out will you gang?
Yes the sneeze guards just like a table saw guard should never be taken off. These will most likely be up in the attic soon i would not want a piece coming off the lathe and breaking them.:thumb:
As with most safety shield/guards they should be stored in a safe place.

Last edited:
Yes the sneeze guards just like a table saw guard should never be taken off. These will most likely be up in the attic soon i would not want a piece coming off the lathe and breaking them.:thumb:
As with most safety shield/guards they should be stored in a safe place.

:rofl: That one got me Chuck. I just blew coffee all over my monitor.

I've been wondering if the problem with the spindle could have been solved with an MT finishing reamer? Sure wish those things weren't so expensive. Would be nice to true up a worn or abused MT now and then.

I've been wondering if the problem with the spindle could have been solved with an MT finishing reamer? Sure wish those things weren't so expensive. Would be nice to true up a worn or abused MT now and then.

Frank
I don't think so as it sounded as if the hole was already to large. Or in the case of a taper to deep.. Same result, as the deeper you take a taper the larger the large end becomes but somewhere down the taper things usually fit.

Garry

Just a note on the sloppy spur center. I was at a cousin's house and he has an old 45.... it came from a school in my hometown (he was their first WWing teacher) and I know the school was built in 1964 and all new equipment was installed at the time, so his is of that era. (PM Green)

I looked at the spur center and MT, his spur fit almost to the "hilt"... I mean there was a fine slot and that was all, between the spindle and the back of the spur. I am wondering if the 45 was designed with a deep MT socket.