Upgrade my Harbor Freight dust collector?

I have the Harbor Freight dust collector, should I upgrade the bags that came with it? if yes what should I use & where do I get them?
Any other suggested upgrades?
Thanks
Dennis

I have the Harbor Freight dust collector, should I upgrade the bags that came with it? if yes what should I use & where do I get them?
Any other suggested upgrades?
Thanks
Dennis

[size=+1]Which HF collector?

You could probably upgrade the smaller, 1 hp collector by buying the one micron bags from Penn State.

I recently vastly inproved my 2 hp collector by having a new upper bag custom made by American Fabric Filter (http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/). Since I had plenty of room, my new bag is 36" in diameter, and 72" high. It replaced a cartridge filter that was a nightmare to keep unclogged, and in the process it vastly increased the airflow, and italso lowered the noise factor by an almost amazing 18 dB(a)@36" (from 92, down to 74). The new upper bag cost me about $160.00, including shipping, and was a very good value, considering the noise and efficiency improvements it provided.[/size]

If your situation permits, I can recommend the solution that I eventually evolved into. A few years ago I bought the Grizzly G1029 2hp dc, with standard bags. As you can expect, it left a noticeable dust film. And I hated emptying that bottom bag because I always let it get too full, and the cleanup afterward was unfun. Eventually I got the 2.5 micron bag from Grizzly, and although that was an improvement it wasn't total dust removal, and of course the bottom bag still had to be emptied. One day I took the thing apart, built a wooden stand for the motor and impeller unit, set it under a window, cut a hole in a piece of plywood (window insert) and routed it outside. The bags and stand are now in storage. Total dust extraction. Never empty a bag. No reduction in performance as the bag fills. In addition I rigged up a connection for a hose and wand, and use this to vacuum the shop...now I don't even have to empty the Fein vac that I used to use for this purpose. I live in an area with no neighbors to be offended, or even see it, and as I'm a widower LOML no longer worries about such things. Works great. Occasionally a chunk pings off the impeller on the way outside, but I figure if I have to take it apart someday and replace the impeller, it will be well worth it.

Cheers.

In my not-so-humble opinion, bags are not the way to go at all. Fine filtration or not.

Get yerself one of those VERY nice canister filters from Wynn Environmental. It's a very popular upgrade for that HF unit, too, and I have never heard anyone complain a bit about buying it. Check them out, here:

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Interesting, seeing that I junked my troublesome, constantly clogging one micron cartridge (with a cranked beater to loosen the impacted dust) in favor of the upgraded bag. As I said, it lowered the noise substantially, and airflow is improved even over a newly cleaned cartridge.

I really got tired of the couple-times-a-month cleaning of the filter out in the driveway. After pounding on it, and blowing it out with the compressor, I'd generally get about a gallon of dust out of its pleats. Then it'd work okay for another couple weeks, steadily degrading over that time, and I'd have to repeat the process.

I'm really much happier now, with the oversized bag - which is also a one micron, BTW.

Dennis,
Your HF 2hp collector is pretty much the same as the Penn State, Jet, and otheres. It'll have a 20" diameter 'plenum' for the bags to attach to. American Fabric Filters can make a bag any size you might want, if that interests you.