Starting My first bench

Tom Henry

Recently I came across a 54" x 64" x 2 1/4" thick hard maple top and thought I could take advantage of the situation and build my first bench. Here is the top I found on craigslist for $75.:thumb: I removed the rods and cut the top in half :eek: I am planning on trimming all sides and marring the 2 tops together to make a 63" x 26" X 4 1/2" top. That would make the top alone 210 lbs. I am planning to cut out a tool trough from the top piece before glueing the 2 together then drilling round dog holes as you see here. With the wood removed for the tool trough I was going to use for the front vise and the ramps in the tool trough. So any thoughts or comments would be great.:cool:

Attachments

• Bench copy2.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 63

I was thinking of making 2 benches at 2 1/4" and make one for my son but 1- I have no room for 2 benches and 2 This bench will be his one day:thumb:

Trust me...Moving that top with 2 people was not fun! I thought my arms got 3" longer from carrying it...

I had similar find on a couple maple tops. The company I work for was going to throw them out:eek: I took one of the tops and ripped a couple pieces for the front skirt where the vices would mount. Seems to work ok! also made to bench mobile with a couple cams to raise it on the castors...the joy of working in a garage/shop that still has to function as a garage. At least thats what the wife says:huh:

Attachments

• wb1.jpg
    wb1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 22
  • wb2.jpg
    wb2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 13
  • wb3.jpg
    wb3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi Ed. Would thos handels at the bottom be to raise and lower wheels to make it easyer to move around...:)
Reg

I have never had a tool tray on mine. Just my opinion but seems like a waste of space to me. I would prefer to have that as a flat surface as a tool tray. YMMV of course.