MDF and correct screw type

I'll be working with 1/2 inch MDF. Is there a particular screw type to be used with MDF or will ordinary wood screws do?

Thanks. DKT

I have always used regular wood screws - the newer type with a bugle head and straight shank, not the older type with the round/flat head and a tapered shank - with good results. Just remember not to screw closer than 1" or so to the edges and drill a pilot hole.

There is a special type of screw for particle board/MDF. It is called a confirmat screw. McFeely's carries them. Here is a link to a tech article on McFeelys about them: http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/confirmat.htm.

Hope that this helps.

Jim

Jim is discribing Drywall screws not Regular Wood Screws. (Pet peeve of mine) :(

Actually the final statement is best advice, Use screws intended for MDF and have less problems, but for a quick task, You can follow simple guidelines, Always use proper Pilot holes. If you are screwing into the edge or end of MDF, I like to clamp either side of the piece so that the screw will not split but will cut it's threads. Use a finer thread Drywall screwas they are less agressive and will more than likely cut threads than the coarse threaded Grabbers...

i use #8 bugleheaded coarse thread woodscrews and for all screw connections i drill clearance and pilot holes and then countersink.
never use the screw without a proper sized pilot hole in sheetgoods, there`s a good chance of ruining the piece if you do.

And I don't think I would even consider sinking any screw into the edge of the 1/2" MDF mentioned.

I've had great success using regular drywall screws in mdf by drilling a pilot hole, sinking the screw, then withdrawing it and dripping a couple drops of thin CA glue into the hole and quickly resinking the screw. If you wait a second or two after the screw hits bottom, then break it loose by giving it a partial turn in the outward direction, the CA makes some pretty good re-useable threads in the holes for removing and replacing screws in situations where that might be warranted.