Getting some BIG Bowl Blanks Ready for a Spin......

Stuart Ablett

I got a bunch of this Keyaki stuff a while back.........

>> In this thread <<

.......near the end of that thread, I got these large pieces.......

bigwood_mizuki.JPG
That is #2 daughter Mizuki standing beside the wood, she is about 5'4" tall.

Well, I wrestled the two largest chunks down to the Dungeon for some cutting up......

2nd_biggest_chunk.JPG stack_of_blanks.JPG
That is the second biggest chunk and the stack of bowl blanks I got from it.

Now on to the big chunk! :D

biggest_chunk1.JPG biggest_chunk2.JPG
There it is with my small electric chainsaw, I cut it flat-ish on the face to make it easier to process.

biggest_chunk3.JPG biggest_chunk4.JPG
I had to see how BIG it actually was....... Maybe not that large compared to some of the stuff done elsewhere, but for me, in the Dungeon, it is fairly big.....

OK, at this point, I was not really looking forward to cutting this with my small electric chainsaw, so I dug out the BEAST :D

biggest_chunk5.JPG biggest_chunk6.JPG
This saw is an older Shindaiwa chainsaw, I bought it used, cheap, and boy, does this thing cut..... :thumb:
It is rather heavy, so for this, it was perfect.

biggest_chunk7.JPG

Yeah! :D

Cont..........

biggest_chunk8.JPG
I then put this chunk on the Phoenix and made it rounder

This one piece had a lot of checks and cracks in it, so I figured I'd might as well git-r-dun right away....

biggest_chunk9.JPG
Now that is pushing the limits of my DVR.

biggest_chunk10.JPG
When I got to this point, I found a large inclusion, that I could not see before :doh: I had this piece set up for the top being near the headstock, but I could not see this end, with the inclusion holding a tenon......

biggest_chunk11.JPG
So, I cleaned up that end up, and put a tenon on the headstock side.

biggest_chunk12.JPG
I sure can make a mess eh :rolleyes:

biggest_chunk13.JPG
This is another reason why I swapped the orientation, the figure on this side is really nice! :D

biggest_chunk14.JPG
I got out my hollowing rig and hollowed it out until about 1/2" thick, took about 1 1/2 hours.

biggest_chunk15.JPG
Minor problem..... yep......don't fit into the DNA bucket :doh:

Cheers!

Oh my goodness, what a chunk, 42cm, watch your back.
But eh, nice description of the whole process, Stu.
Get a bigger bucket, an old baby washtub will do the trick also.
Cheers. Ad

Stu,

How does the DVR do with those big things? It's a little too much drama on mine, so I've started "reverse tilting" the bandsaw table, just to take off about 15 degrees more wood. Works well, cuts down on drama... ;)

Got four of 'em done (I work on a much smaller scale! ;) , and then coated them with some highland wax I had (when I bought it, I didn't realize they sold dark wax, so it didn't even occur to me to check the color... ouch!

Anyway, good luck with the whole process. Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Thanks,

Bill

The DVR is getting a work out for sure, I think if I were to turn this big stuff all the time, a larger lathe would be good, but the fact is, I don't turn this kind of big stuff often, so I'll stick with the DVR............ for now............ :D