Spindle Gouge

Mike Rathe

I recently bought a Benjamins Best spindle gouge and the profile on it looked a little different to me, does anyone have a pictures on what a spindle gouge should look like? It just wasnt turning like I would have liked.
Thanks

The middle one.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/
The pointier the fingernail and sharper angle would allow you to get into tighter area but not as easy to control on long flowing curve.

Can you post a picture of your gouge? Most of the tools sold are not expected to be used out of the package. The factory grind only makes the product look good to be sold.

I bought a couple of the BB spindle gouges and immediately put a fingernail grind on them. I also cut a secondary bevel on mine to be able to finials especially the tips. As Gordon said the steeper the bevel and the pointier the tip you can make some pretty nice details. They don't have as much meat to them (thick metal) as most others have but work great for me because I use them mainly for detail work. The spindle gouges I use for spindle work are pinnacle spindle gouges or those by Richard Raffan. I really like them with the fingernail grind but that is just my choice.

They don't have as much meat to them (thick metal) as most others have

If I want meat, I use the shallow flute detail gouge; that is when I need to extend the tool over the tool rest. Because of the shallow flute, there is lots of steel left. I also round off the heel of the bevel so it would get into real tight area for deep detail. A spindle gouge has approximately half of the steel milled away for the flute; the shape of the grind is wider as well as rounder and more forgiving in use at the sacrifice of rigidity.
fef34e1a.jpg

Gordon my pinnacles have lots of meat and I am going to get a set of Thompson's. What I was getting at was the BB don't have the heft to them and I like it this way because I can get the tip I want and with a double bevel or sharp bevel I can do my delicate finials. They do work well for that. I do not or would not use them to do any spindle work as they are to light and I am afraid if you hung them to far over the rest well you know. I use my thumb and 3 finger to hold these gouges. The index and middle finger support the finial.