a new weekend thing "bench-shots"

This is a great idea. How about setting up a separate forum called Bench Shots? We could start a new thread each week or month or whatever. That would keep them easy to find & they wouldn't get lost in the general area. Thoughts?

Tod, with all you folks entering thier contest entries before the contest has even started, I suggest that you change the "rules" for submission. :)

Maybe this should be a monthly thing with a week at the start of the month set aside for entries. What do you say, Tod?

Wassaweekend? Since we empty-nested (about 20 years behind schedule), half the time I don't know what day of the week it is. And usually don't care.

OK, I guess that I had better post a photo of mine. I was going to wait until tomorrow morning, but I won't be here.

Colourfull benches -small.JPG

I figure my beches are not the neatest and they not the messiest, but I think that they are the most colourful. :D

Last edited:
OK, I guess that I had better post a photo of mine. I was going to wait until tomorrow morning, but I won't be here.

I figure my benches are not the neatest and they not the messiest, but I think that they are the most colourful. :D
That's a nice setup, Frank. I like the "L" shape...looks like it'd be handy. And you do so far have the most colorful bench in the bunch.
You know what, Vaughn? I bet you're one of those guys that know exactly where everything is on your bench:D .
Amazing but true. ;) It's all in knowing where to start tunneling. :p

Just to save a little face, my bench usually isn't quite as bad as it is right now. I usually have one end of it cleared off for doing my typically short glue-ups, but I had a longer piece I had to do a while back, so I covered the TS and used it for the glue-up, and in the process, the cleared space on the bench was consumed. Gimme a week or two, and I'll have the place whipped back into shape. It'll still be cluttered, but organized clutter. :D

sorry `bout startin` this early fellows! i`m in chicago doing family stuff so i wouldn`t be able to shoot a pic over the weekend:eek:
art, those are clones! i`m to hard on stuff to chance ruining real emmerts.....besides, they`re outta my price range!
i actually started this just `cause it`s kinda fun to see how everybody works, not as a "real" contest or anything.........a look at somebodies bench in use is probably a better way to get to know oneanother than any type of introduction or profile.........glad it seems popular....tod

I really like this thread and I thought I might post a picture of mine. Well I just moved into my house about three months ago and realized I still have a long way to go to get the "shop" set up. There is evey sort of tool on my bench, but none of it even resembles a wood working tool. What I need to do is clean up that mess, and start my woodworking mess so I can compete. Maybe next week, make that month, I will be ready to throw up some shots the shop

I really like this thread and I thought I might post a picture of mine. Well I just moved into my house about three months ago and realized I still have a long way to go to get the "shop" set up. There is evey sort of tool on my bench, but none of it even resembles a wood working tool. What I need to do is clean up that mess, and start my woodworking mess so I can compete. Maybe next week, make that month, I will be ready to throw up some shots the shop

Come on Dan, don't be shy, show us where you are now, so when you get to where you want to be, we will have a nice before and after shot! :D

Here, I'll show you mine.........

Before
shop4.jpg

After
dungeon_after.jpg

Now that is a CLEAN workbench :thumb:

Of course it never stays that way for very long:rofl:

Cheers!

Well I just moved into my house about three months ago and realized I still have a long way to go to get the "shop" set up.

Dan, it will never be "set up". ;) We moved into our house just over 2 years ago. I largely built it myself, not that I had planned too. But I have been working on my basement shop for a year now and it's still not "set up" like I want. I just did a couple of major rearrangements and getting it to where I like it but that's just one half of the shop. Still have the other half to do.

Go ahead and show us! We love photos!!

Ok, now that I tweaked my back putting a log on the fire last night, taking pictures in the shop is just about my limit of activity.:(:(:(
I don't really have a work bench yet, but I do have some work tables that I'm using. The first one DSCN1339.jpg is the welding table that the previous owner left. I put a scrap piece of plywood on top...didn't even anchor it down.
#2 is the welding table my Dad brought me. DSCN1340.jpg It is positioned where my future "all purpose" work bench will go.
Photo 3 is the saw horse "bench" I put up when I first started the rehab on the shop bldg. DSCN1341.jpg I just recently took the boom box off of it and set it up on top of the 4 drawer file to the right of this bench.
And lastly, because of no place else to put some hand tools from the box in the garage, until I get the wall sheathong on and the boxes mounted, this is my temporary tool shelf. DSCN1342.jpg It was supposed to go away today, but (see line 1 above:huh:) There we go! Jim.

I don't have a bench, but I've got some wall cabinets (cherry with pine beadboard) for the dining room on the work table. This morning I spent 3-1/2 HOURS putting the hinges on... and I already had the mortises cut in the doors. Tomorrow I'll spend another 3-1/2 hours fussing with the fit. I'm already unhappy with the gap (too much), so I'll not be a happy lad as I'm doing it. I HATE hinges!

Cabinets will go to the ceiling, and I'll use the painted crown like the walls around the top. When I get this done, which shoulda been done three weeks ago, I'll do a base cabinet with drawers. The 'look' ain't for everybody, but it matches what we've got in the kitchen and bedroom.

dincab.jpg

Steve, you might oughta consider having a cleaning lady come by every once in a while to tidy the place up. Looks like you're WAY behind in your housekeeping. Have you been busy with something else, or what? :eek: :p

Yea. I've been a little lax in my janatorial duties lately:eek:

Hi Tod
.... I wasn't too excited about taking a pic of my workbench at first but you know I think it's a great idea. Kinda helps keep up one's progress when you know others may notice. Don't know about EVERY week though :D.

P1000442b.JPG

.... And here's a cart and table of hardware to be sorted and sized and put away, usually my winter project, especially when it's too cold in the shop to do much else.

P1000444b.JPG

:)

snap a picture of your bench as it is sometime over the weekend....cleanest bench looses! if i remember:eek: ..i`ll start this every weekend...tod

View attachment 1680

Don't know if this qualifies for this thread. If it doesn't, I'll take my punishment.
Another penturning forum I belong to, International Association of Penturners a/k/a IAP has a section for 'other things we make'.
Thread below has a couple items by a Canadian member, the laptop desk is nice but I'm posting to show his workbench.
Absolutely a winner in every sense.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19877

Well, I wasn't going to compete in this, since my shop is under construction. But Jim, you posted your construction bench, so here's mine:

DSCN5398.jpg

That's just the big quick-n-dirty bench I built. You can also see one of the four units of oak flooring. They're serving to hold stuff too, so I guess they count as benches. If I posted a picture of all of them, as well as my bench, I suspect I'd get the prize for the worst mess!

Thanks to tod for starting this thread...:thumb:
- Marty -