Anyone Up For a SKetchUp Challenge?

Dave Richards

CurvedRaisedPanel.jpg

A curved, raised panel door in which all the frame widths are the same and all the bevels on the raised panel are the same width.

Oh yeah. Timed. Under 3 minutes.

You may pick up your mouse...now!

Heck Dave, it'd take me more than three minutes to do a flat one. :p And I suspect I'd spend closer to three hours figuring out how to make it curved. ;)

I'll be fun seeing how it's done. :D

Well, here you go Vaughn and Jim. I think you both can do this.

Take a look at this video to see how I did it. The video ran 2:10 from start to end. I had a few delays due to the video capture software running at the same time I was drawing so it isn't as smooth as I'd like.

I used Offset on the original arc to get the inside arc. Push/Pull on the sector to give the door height, a new plugin called Offset on Surface* to make the offsets on the curved faces and to create the panel area. To create the raising I used another plugin called [url=http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/skin.zip]Skin.

My point in this wasn't to show off or anything. the intent was to offer some new options and hopefully get you thinking along new lines.

*You may need to sign up for the SketchUp Community Forums to get Offset on a Surface.

Edited to add: I discovered a problem with the version of JointPush/Pull that I originally linked to. I have edited the link to a more current version although this one is at the Sketchucation site so you may need to be signed in to get it. Here's the new link again.

Last edited:
Hi Dave :wave:,
Every time you introduce an idea, I am so pleased and think it so considerate of you! I have never thought of your presentation for your tutorials or ideas/concepts as anything but considerate sharing with the intrested yet uneducated mass! :D You have a great undertanding of the Sketchup program and your willingness to share is noteworthy.
Thank You.
Shaz.
A Gold star will be sent to your forwarding address
Dave Richards
333 Helping Hand Blvd
Sketchup, Texas 90210:thumb:

A curved, raised panel door in which all the frame widths are the same and all the bevels on the raised panel are the same width.

Oh yeah. Timed. Under 3 minutes.

Hi Dave :wave:,
You have a great undertanding of the Sketchup program and your willingness to share is noteworthy.

Exactly!!

Let's see, now:

1) Contemplate idea: 30 seconds
2) Try to figure out how to draw it myself: 60 seconds :huh:
3) compose email to Dave Richards: 60 seconds :thumb:

There, done. less than 3 minutes! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you very much Robert. You do me too much credit.

Art, well, that's another way to do it. I just couldn't figure out how to put that in a 3 minute video. :D

Any chance you could describe how you did it Dave? The video is good to have but the resolution is low enough that it is very hard to work out exactly what you did. I grabbed the three plugins you mentioned and played around with them but still can't quite work out what happened....

Sorry Tim. Here's a better description.

I'll assume you can get the curved door drawn. That's just an arc of the desired radius for the outside edge, Offset to 3/4" for the thickness and join the ends to make a face. Push/Pull to height.

Now the tricky parts.

Select the outer face of the door. Get the Offset on Surface tool. Click on edge and drag in toward center. Type offset distance which is the width of the frame members.

Get Joint Push/Pull too and push panel portion of door in. Type distance (1/2" in this case) and hit Enter twice to set the face position.

Select face of panel and get Offset on Surface tool again. Click on edge and drag in to the width of the raising on the panel.

Go back to Joint Push/Pull and pull the field out. (1/2" in this case.)

With the Select tool, double click on the "raising" area to select the face and its bounding edges. Hold Shift and delselect everything but the outside edges of the raising. Still holding Shift, double click on the field of the panel to select the face and its bounding edges. Click on the face again to deselct the face. At this point the outer edge of the panel and the edge of the field on the panel should be the only things selected.

Click on the center button of the Skin toolbar. If the skin is drawn click Yes. Delte the diagonals on the vertical bevels of the raising. Soften (Ctrl+Eraser) the edges on the curved portions of the raising.

Done.

Clear as mud?