Coffee table plan?

Warren White

Good afternoon!
I have some nicely figured maple that I would like to use for a coffee table top, with the legs and apron from cherry.

I am looking for plans that would work with these woods. I would like the top to appear to 'float.'

I haven't been successful in finding any plans and wonder if anyone could offer any suggestions or pictures of their project.

Thank you,
Warren

Good afternoon!
I have some nicely figured maple that I would like to use for a coffee table top, with the legs and apron from cherry.

I am looking for plans that would work with these woods. I would like the top to appear to 'float.'

I haven't been successful in finding any plans and wonder if anyone could offer any suggestions or pictures of their project.

Thank you,
Warren
Hi Warren :wave:, It is in a situation like this that we must revert to our basic animal instincts. "We are able" to create" what we want! with guidance.
I would like to help but need ask just a few questions.
#1 When you say float...Can you describe your thinking on that idea "floating"!
#2 You mention an apron but that gives me the picture of a no float? Where do you invision it and what purpose does it serve?
#3 How thick would your top be?
You are special and have great ideas that just need to be brought out. The more often you try to design projects for yourself the closer you get to building that item that is really YOU!
Shaz

Hello Robert,
Thanks for the reply. I am not much at sketching, much less at posting a sketch, but I will try to draw you a word picture. :huh:

By 'float' I mean that the top only contacts the apron in a few concealed places which are 1/2 inch or so above the plane of the majority of the rest of the apron. One way of accomplishing this would be to add the needed height to cross pieces in the apron so that the top appears to 'float' over the sides and ends of the apron. It would be important that there be sufficient strength to keep the top solid.

This image of 'floating' could be enhanced by keeping the legs away from the top. For example, if you used square legs (say 8/4), you could cut a slightly larger 3 sided square in the four corners of the top and let the top 'float' around the legs.

I could probably give it a shot, but I would like to know how others have accomplished it.

I am sorry if this is too confusing. Thanks for your interest!

Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Art. I had searched the forums, but hadn't done my basic homework by trying Google.

I was very impressed with some of the pictures you referred me to. As a result, I think I have an idea regarding how to proceed.

Thanks!
Warren