"Touching Up" A Router Bit

I just started using a brand new Whiteside raised panel bit, and it's doing a great job so far. I'm going to be running a bunch of QSWO through the bit, so I'm anticipating a need for some carbide sharpening. I know that some folks look at router bits as "consumables" when woodworking, but I can't really justify that in the case of a $60 raised panel bit. :rolleyes: What do you guys use to give an occasional "touch up" to your router bits?

Thanks!!

- Keith

Since its more like $15 for a router bit sharpening around here, I touch mine up with these as appropriate. I just hone them a little as they start to lose their "newness". I treat the flat face, not the bevel.

router-bit-honing.jpg

Once they reach the point of needing to be ground, I let the pros do it.

You might also be amazed about how much better they cut after a simple cleaning. I've found that Windex window cleaner does a great job on router bits as well as saw blades. Carbide edges do last a good long time.

I have over the years come to the conclusion that good router bits are cheaper in the long run than cheap ones. I still do have a good collection of cheaper bits, and boy can you tell the diff when you run something through the router table. I don't sharpen the cheaper bits, once dull, they get tossed into a drawer with other used carbide bits. The good ones, since they cost a good bit more, are worth having done at a sharpening shop. The $12 is worth it in that case. I have touched them up myself with those fine grit diamonds, but the problem (for me anyway) is getting EXACT same amount of profile on all flutes. Thus I let the pros do it.

I am with Glenn on this one. Just touch up the bit with a diamond stone and you are done. You would be surprised how easy and how fast you can get a router bit sharp.

For what its worth, I don't hone the rounded profile of the bit. I touch up the flat backside of the bit which is what makes the router bit sharp. You wear away enough of the backside to get a crisp edge. Whenever I touched the rounded profile of the bit,I think I made it more dull.

Here is Alyson "helping" me sharpen one of my bits one afternoon.

Alys_Router_Bit.JPG