first hollow form

Clark O'Neill

i'm trying to catch up with photography while i have the tent set up. this is my first hollow form and i waited for randy's arm brace rig to do it...great quality tools for a reasonable price. this is tulip poplar with some burl. i know, the foot looks strange and i can't explain why i left it on. 3 3/4 x 6 1/4" with three coats of maloof oil/varnish and wax.
tulip_poplar HF.jpg
then this is a small lidded box of maple and walnut. 2 5/8 x 5" with the same finish. next time i would cut a bead around the walnut insert in the top to give it more definition.
maple lidded box.jpg

Looking good, Clark. I agree with you on the foot, but all in all you did great. (Like the box too.)

BTW, I'm going to move this thread over to the Lathe Project Showcase. (I'm guessing you didn't mean to post it in the Neander section.) ;)

Now that I've had a second (longer) look at the box, I gotta compliment you on it again. Beautiful wood, and the proportions and form look excellent to me.

Great job on both Clark. I have to agree I would have taken the foot off and maybe went smaller on the base. Now the LOML likes vases with the foot on them so I do make both. The box I like a lot. Well done.

Clark, great work on both pieces.
A little bit strange foot on the hollow form, but in some way attractive.
Your lidded box is perfect, very nice shape, with a elegant look.
Well done! :thumb:

I have to jump in with everyone else on congratulate you on some very nice work! Beautiful wood and finish on both pieces! I do like both pieces but the box is amazing - outstanding form! Very nice work - looking forward to seeing what you turn next!