Thread: Here is a challange

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Here is a challange

I was contacted by an elderly gentleman who has a clock that has been in the family for generations. He gave it to a clockmaker to fix an in the process of fixing it a piece was lost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	1692

Here is a picture of the clock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock top.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1693

The piece that is missing is the sunburst thing at the top. All he can tell me is that it is 3 1/2" across and 1/2" thick at the sun burst. What I plan on doing is to turn a piece like it out of walnut cut it in half on the skroll saw and cut the rays in the sun burst the same way. Now heres my delema. I can firgure out how to scale the demension for the rest of the piece, such as the small relief under the rays or knob on the front. I started something in sketchup but I am drawing a blank.

any ideas ?
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-07-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don, take what pictures you can get to the shop and cut it out.....no sketchup required......believe me if it looks good to your eye the customer will love it! tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I think I'd agree with Tod.

Oh go pick your jaw up off the floor.

I think you could figure out the needed dimensions reasonably well with a divider and the pictures. If you knnowpiece is 3 1/2" across then the height would be 1 3/4" you ought to be able to work out the radius at the base of the rays rather easily. Work using the vertical heights so you don't has so much distortion from the angle at which the photos were made. With two images you should be able to double check.

Now if you really want to draw the sunburst using SWU, I could show you how I'd do it but I think you'd be done making the piece before too long.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

After you come up with a size that you like, cut it out on some cardboard and test fit it to the clock.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well I did it, here's a thread that shows the end result.
    http://familywoodworking.org/public_...ead.php?t=1129
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward