shop notes

Hey Jiggs, if you haven't seen them already, check out some of the cutting boards on my website. Fell free to steal any ideas you might see. Click the 'Flatwork' link on the left side of the main page, then click 'Cutting Boards'. There are a few pages listed on the left side. I recently moved my site, so a few of the pages may not be working right, but I think all the cutting board pages are working OK.

www.workingwoods.com

(No Shop Notes copies necessary, BTW.) ;)

Cutting Boards

Thank you:
It's not always easy for someone to admit their ignorance - but I found it's extremely easy to express my gratitude.

I'm 71, blind in one eye and less than 40% vision in the other
(macular degeneration). Gawd it's great to get old.

I took up woodworking 5 years ago and found that making sawdust is a lot of fun and relaxing.

I appreciate your offer to look at your patterns. Those pieces you have on the workmate really help - I have my wife looking at the photo with a magnifying glass at the scale to measure the width of the strips

I'll post some of my efforts soon, along with my special 3 foot push stick I use on my table saw.

Thank you
Jiggs Elphison

Jiggs, on most of my striped boards, the small strips are either 1/4" or 1/8" wide. Or sometimes a mix of the two. Those were the only widths I measured, but the only important things is that they are consistent. All the wider strips were just whatever width worked out with that particular piece of lumber. Anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/2, I'd guess. I never followed a pattern or plan for the stripes...just kind of made it up as I went along. Just cut some skinny strips, some wider strips, and lay them out in various combinations until you see something you like. You'll be surprised how easy it is. ;)