Eucalyptus hf

The piece was turned green and dried in a hurry. She warped, twisted, cracked and was a huge challenge. I think the end result was worth the effort.

She's about 4-1/2" wide and about 4-1/4" tall. The finish is A/O and three wheel buffed. I used coffee grounds to fill the gapping crack that developed while drying.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. Photography is a whole "other" challenge.

Thanks for looking:)
PICT0002.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0001.JPGPICT0003.JPG

Beautiful!

Hi George,

Great form and some wonderful figure in the eucalyptus!

What is A/O finish?

Best Regards,

David

Ooh baby, that's a nice hunk of red eucalyptus. I've still got several chunks of that in the "to be turned" pile in the back yard. Great job dealing with the crack. The form looks great and the finish superb.

David, A/O (or AO) is Antique Oil, a wipe-on varnish/oil mix from Miniwax. (There may be other makers, too.)

Don't see a durned thing wrong with either the HF or the photography. Might be just a tad soft focus, but with that High gloss, your digi cam might be fighting to find a focal point... tip, put a card or something at the same plane as the piece, focus on that, then don't move the camera, and shoot the HF

George, a lot of people told you already how beautiful it is, I'm fully agree with them. The pictures are not bad at all, I'm struggling all the time with this problem.
Keep up your good work.
Ad

george, that is a beautiful piece. the wood is great, shape and finish is first class. i would love to have it on my mantle.
i don't see anything wrong with the photography but i'm in the learning mode there. from what i read by bob hawks on the subject your last photo is the best of the four as it shows just a bit of the mouth but not enough to make the piece look shorter than it is. he also suggests a dominant shadow so he raises one sidelight higher than the other.
keep the work and photos coming.

Thank you all for the very nice comments. My ego has been enormously stroked:eek:.

Frank. I can't tell you if there is an odor to this wood as I wear a respirator most of the time while turning:dunno:.