Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake damage

Steve Clardy Guest

Lake damage

Heres some pics of some of the damage that was at the lake. 12-01-06

These people probably had insurance. Theres some expensive boats under the docks.
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 10-20-2007 at 06:29 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ouch, I need to call my sister, they have a boat and cabin at lake of the ozarks. I hope the boat was out of the water..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

When I was living in Kimberling City we had a tornado actually lift and flip a couple docks like those. Long time ago, but your pics brought back those memories!

I saw some of that damage on the St. Louis news Steve. It REALLY wiped out some of those big marina's. Around St. Charles here in the St. Louis area, they have a lot of damage to covered docks too. There are going to be a lot of unhappy boaters, and the damage is in the millions of dollars. There have been several more roof collapse incidents around the area in the past few days, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about those!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the deal with all of these roofs going down under snow.......

Is it that this area does not get this kind of snow, often, or at all?

Just curious is all.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, it's not that we don't get good accumulations of snow at times in this area, but this storm was different. Some areas, like where Steve lives, got hit with freezing rain and sleet, and a BUNCH of it. Sure, we do get ice storms, and sleet quite often in the winter, but to get accumulations of 6" or more of pure ice and sleet, coupled with many inches of snow on top of that, and most structures cannot take that kind of weight. I am very suprised there weren't more structural failures, and so are the engineers. Winter has made it's point............I am ready for spring!

Thanks Kevin, that is what I figured. Here in Tokyo it snows, but never much over a few inches, I know if we had 10" of snow here, lots of houses, garages etc would fall in. We also are not built for snow, as we have no where to put it, if you shoveled up even 6" of snow, the roads would be single lane, and so would the sidewalks.

When ever we head out of Tokyo and got to the mountains etc, I always comment to my wife about the amount of snow that an area gets, she would always just say "oh yeah, really......" but once we were in an area that to me looked like it got LOTS of snow each year and I said so, she asked how I could know that, it was the first time I'd ever been there, I told her to ask the shopkeeper we were shopping at, he said "Yeah, we can get 2' to 3' in one night.......

She wanted to know how I knew, I said "look at the roof of that house, it looked like this.........

and the front level was not at ground level, but maybe 3' above ground level, also the steps up to the front porch were steel mesh, so the snow would fall through the steps. When you see stuff like that, you know you are in snow country, also the road markers for the snow plows

Yep, I grew up in snow country.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    When I was shoveling snow and ice off the addition yesterday, [snow had melted down some since the 1st] there was at least 4" of solid ice under the snow I was shoveling off.

Is that Lake of the Ozarks?
    If it is, you betcha, there are some expensive boats around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    When I was shoveling snow and ice off the addition yesterday, [snow had melted down some since the 1st] there was at least 4" of solid ice under the snow I was shoveling off.
    hey steve you should save that ice fer your ice box that way you can have cold beverages in the summera nd say i am stil on top of you mother nature.! nobody likes warm sweet tea hey here's another thought steve i bet them boat folks could use some boat repair and you could fish after hours
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!