Cleaning up the Tivo

Ned Bulken

I'm going to be migrating my main Tivo to the living room from my bedroom soon, and so that my kids have a few hours of recording room, I'm taping off some of the saved episodes of Woodworks and NYW. Just a few of the former, and way too many of the latter. I'll have to buy some tapes to clear the NYW episodes. (I have 32 on file).

Ned:

If you are computer literate, you can transfer them over to your PC.
Tivo has software to do just that.

You can burn them to DVD or play them there.
The web has software to unlock the proprietary format if you want to.

You do seem to lose some resolution, but I do that with my NYW's.

Cheers

Jim

Tape, yep, low tech, but existing in the budget. As for porting them to the computer, I'm a directivo user, so I have dual tuners, but cannot port them out to the computer. And, as for the dvd, I'm putting my money into the shop, but someday I want a DVD-Recorder.

DVD/VHS combination recorder at Wal Mart, $99.00 a couple of months ago. Bought and am now recording onto dvd the taped shows also. Would like someday to convert the old VHS tapes to dvd.

Ned,

I looked on line last night and found one for $29...

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?keyword=DVD+burner&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

scroll to the bottom... ;)

Media has gotten awful cheap too. Still, I hear you, 30 bucks is 30 bucks... ;) And it only helps if you can push out to the computer from your tivo. I thought they were set up for wireless these days?

Thanks,

Bill

My tower Has a burner in it, what it doesn't have is a way to get the signal to the burner. I want a stand alone dvd recorder. As much as Directv is annoying me, I might go with cable again and get a stand-alone tivo w/ burner in it. But that'll get expensive in a hurry, so going to limp along in current mode awhile longer.