CA glue & Face plates

Ned Bulken

I'm watching the turning 101 episode about turning 101, in it David uses CA glue to attatch the waste block for the face plate to his blank. I was surprised to see that it held a 9" blank on his Oliver. Things to look forward to, though I'm saving for a barracuda in the 'near' future.

I'm watching the turning 101 episode about turning 101, in it David uses CA glue to attatch the waste block for the face plate to his blank. I was surprised to see that it held a 9" blank on his Oliver. Things to look forward to, though I'm saving for a barracuda in the 'near' future.

I've CA glued waste blocks to 16" bowl blanks and then proceeded to core out the centers. I haven't had one break yet.

I know Bill Gumbine uses hot glue that he melts in a shallow plate that he heats on a hot plate (If you are reading this Bill, Congratulation Grampa)

Warning!!

I have heard from several turners that the barracuda chuck is not what they expected. They were very disappointed. You might want to start a new post polling barracuda owners just to make sure it's really what you want.

Hutch

I have heard from several turners that the barracuda chuck is not what they expected. They were very disappointed. You might want to start a new post polling barracuda owners just to make sure it's really what you want.

Hutch

Hutch,
thanks for the tip. I am fortunate enough to have access to a barracuda to test drive. Mark k has the same model lathe as I do, and he already has a Barracuda in his shop. Neither of us have used it as yet (that I know of at least), but the shop is open now, so it will only be a matter of time.

I'll post results and thoughts on it once we start turning in earnest.