Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing Uploading and Sizing (bear with me)

Testing Uploading and Sizing (bear with me)

working on it

In the wall medicine cabinet in one of our bathrooms (sorry its kind of fuzzy)
    Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 12-08-2006 at 12:49 AM.
    Rise above the rest

They seem awfully big, but they don't fill up my screen so I don't have to scroll side to side.
    Rise above the rest

Quilt Rack (these are at a smaller size compared to above)

Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 12-08-2006 at 12:29 AM.
    Rise above the rest

test using attachment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quilt Rack005e.JPG  
    Rise above the rest

Hey Aaron...I don't see any bear. Your subject line implied there was a bear with you, but not only do I not see you, I don't see the bear either.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Aaron,

There are 2 ways to post pics on the forum. It's important to understand the differences, how they are posted, and the size limitations of each.

1. Attachments: the ones that are stored on the forum server, and limited in size by the software, set by the Admin (Vaughn in this case). They will show up either in a small outlined box at the very bottom of the post, using the "Manage Attachment" button, and then replying....or within the post, using the "paper clip" function. Either way you post them, they are subject to the size limits. The number of Attached pics allowed to be posted in a reply window is also set by the admin..10 in the case of this forum.

2. Linked (my word): the ones that are actually stored on a "hosting site" server, like Photobucket, and limited in size by the hosting site software, or the user. They will show up as only a "link", or as a full view picture, depending on the code you post in the reply window. The size of the pic is not limited by the admin, and the number of pics is not limited.

Linked pics can be posted that are larger than the size of the forum "screen window", which would normally require scrolling up/down and/or left/right. Most of the newer browsers will automatically "resize" the larger picture to a size that does not require scrolling, but also offer the capability to view the picture in it's full size. Normally this only requires clicking on the picture, to toggle the size. (in some browers, IE 6, there is a small icom in a corner that you click).

This is the same picture that you posted at the top of the thread.

The pics is smaller than what you originally posted, because it is posted as a "clickable thumbnail". That means that it is originally small, but when "clicked"...it will expand to full size (in this case up to the screen size). Try it...

If the full size of the pic is smaller than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will not enlarge enough to need scrolling, or auto resizing by the browser.

If the full size of the pic is larger than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will enlarge enought to need scrolling, or to auto resize by the browser.

Now...if the pic is posted as just a normal pic...not a clickable thumbnail, it will either post within the window visible size (if the pic is smaller) or require scrolling, if the pic is larger than the viewable size.

If the pic is not a clickable thumbnail, and is larger than the viewable size of the window...it will stretch the whole thread wider than the screen, and scrolling will move the whole thread!

Clickable thumbnails are easy to make in Photobucket..... I'm gonna stop here for questions/comments about this so far...

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 12-08-2006 at 02:03 AM.

Greg, thanks so much. The clickable thumbnail is what I want to know how to do.

I know how to "attach" but I have to make my pictures smaller which I just don't want to take the time to do.
    I know how to "link" just makes the thread really big.
    I saw your "thumbnail" in the other thread (and this post) and that seems to work best for most things
    Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 12-08-2006 at 02:21 AM.
    Rise above the rest

Ok, Aaron, here's how you do it...

Open a message/reply window in the forum. I suggest you then open a new tab and bring up the Photobucket site.

1. Upload your pics into Photobucket using the standard procedures (very similar to uploading an Attachment in vB)

Here's your pic:

Attachment 1714

Click on the little box below the picture.

Attachment 1715

At the bottom of the Photobucket page is a button labeled "Generate HTML and IMG Code". Click on it. A new window will open.

Attachment 1716

In the new window, there are several options...forums, message boards, e.bay, etc.. Choose the "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended"

Attachment 1718

Highlight and then copy the entire code, click on the forum tab and paste the code in your reply/message window. This is what the code looks like ("[" at the beginning and "]" at the end is changed to "{" and "}", so the code will be visible)

{URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/LLQuiltRack006e.jpg}{IMG}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/th_LLQuiltRack006e.jpg{/IMG}{/URL}

Here is the clickable thumbnail....

Click on it once and it will open within your browsers window. Click again, or on an icon (IE 6) and it will expand to full size. Click back to make smaller, or close window to come back here.

Hope this make sense..
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Clickable thumbnail

hope it works

Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 12-08-2006 at 02:56 AM.
    Rise above the rest

Greg, I did that and as you can see they work, but they do not open as large as the thumbnail you posted. Any suggestions on why?
    Rise above the rest