Testing Uploading and Sizing (bear with me)

Aaron Beaver

working on it

In the wall medicine cabinet in one of our bathrooms (sorry its kind of fuzzy)
InWallCabinet01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Aaron...I don't see any bear. Your subject line implied there was a bear with you, but not only do I not see you, I don't see the bear either.

:rofl:

Aaron,

There are 2 ways to post pics on the forum. It's important to understand the differences, how they are posted, and the size limitations of each.

1. Attachments: the ones that are stored on the forum server, and limited in size by the software, set by the Admin (Vaughn in this case). They will show up either in a small outlined box at the very bottom of the post, using the "Manage Attachment" button, and then replying....or within the post, using the "paper clip" function. Either way you post them, they are subject to the size limits. The number of Attached pics allowed to be posted in a reply window is also set by the admin..10 in the case of this forum.

2. Linked (my word): the ones that are actually stored on a "hosting site" server, like Photobucket, and limited in size by the hosting site software, or the user. They will show up as only a "link", or as a full view picture, depending on the code you post in the reply window. The size of the pic is not limited by the admin, and the number of pics is not limited.

Linked pics can be posted that are larger than the size of the forum "screen window", which would normally require scrolling up/down and/or left/right. Most of the newer browsers will automatically "resize" the larger picture to a size that does not require scrolling, but also offer the capability to view the picture in it's full size. Normally this only requires clicking on the picture, to toggle the size. (in some browers, IE 6, there is a small icom in a corner that you click).

This is the same picture that you posted at the top of the thread.

The pics is smaller than what you originally posted, because it is posted as a "clickable thumbnail". That means that it is originally small, but when "clicked"...it will expand to full size (in this case up to the screen size). Try it...

If the full size of the pic is smaller than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will not enlarge enough to need scrolling, or auto resizing by the browser.

If the full size of the pic is larger than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will enlarge enought to need scrolling, or to auto resize by the browser.

Now...if the pic is posted as just a normal pic...not a clickable thumbnail, it will either post within the window visible size (if the pic is smaller) or require scrolling, if the pic is larger than the viewable size.

If the pic is not a clickable thumbnail, and is larger than the viewable size of the window...it will stretch the whole thread wider than the screen, and scrolling will move the whole thread!

Clickable thumbnails are easy to make in Photobucket..... I'm gonna stop here for questions/comments about this so far...

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, thanks so much. The clickable thumbnail is what I want to know how to do.

I know how to "attach" but I have to make my pictures smaller which I just don't want to take the time to do.
I know how to "link" just makes the thread really big.
I saw your "thumbnail" in the other thread (and this post) and that seems to work best for most things

Last edited:
Ok, Aaron, here's how you do it...

Open a message/reply window in the forum. I suggest you then open a new tab and bring up the Photobucket site.

1. Upload your pics into Photobucket using the standard procedures (very similar to uploading an Attachment in vB)

Here's your pic:

View attachment 1714

Click on the little box below the picture.

View attachment 1715

At the bottom of the Photobucket page is a button labeled "Generate HTML and IMG Code". Click on it. A new window will open.

View attachment 1716

In the new window, there are several options...forums, message boards, e.bay, etc.. Choose the "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended"

View attachment 1718

Highlight and then copy the entire code, click on the forum tab and paste the code in your reply/message window. This is what the code looks like ("[" at the beginning and "]" at the end is changed to "{" and "}", so the code will be visible)

{URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/LLQuiltRack006e.jpg}{IMG}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/th_LLQuiltRack006e.jpg{/IMG}{/URL}

Here is the clickable thumbnail....

Click on it once and it will open within your browsers window. Click again, or on an icon (IE 6) and it will expand to full size. Click back to make smaller, or close window to come back here.

Hope this make sense..

Last edited:
Greg, I did that and as you can see they work, but they do not open as large as the thumbnail you posted. Any suggestions on why?

From my post above...

"If the full size of the pic is smaller than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will not enlarge enough to need scrolling, or auto resizing by the browser.

If the full size of the pic is larger than the viewable screen size of your monitor, the pic will enlarge enought to need scrolling, or to auto resize by the browser."

I resized your pic in my Photobucket album...a lot larger than your original.

:D

P.S. "full size" above means the size of the pic in PhotoBucket.

I didn't resize mine in Photobucket, so I will play with that to see if I can get it closer to what yours looks like. Once I find how to resize on Photobucket.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
I resized your pic using Photoshop Elements...then uploaded into PhotoBucket. You can only reduce pic sizes in PhotoBucket...so be careful! If you reduce too much, you have to upload the larger pic into PhotoBucket again.

Interesting...you can make it a little larger after it expands from the thumbnail size, but not larger than the screen! :doh: Hmmmmm.....:dunno:

I'm going to investigate the sizes.....:huh:

Ah Ha! Height is larger than the visible window size..., so it goes into scroll/auto resize mode...:thumb:

:rofl:

Last edited:
I resized your pic using Photoshop Elements...then uploaded into PhotoBucket. You can only reduce pic sizes in PhotoBucket...so be careful! If you reduce too much, you have to upload the larger pic into PhotoBucket again.

Thanks I will have to see what photo programs I have to resize some of the pictures larger. I will have to mess with that tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the help.

test again

Thanks so much greg, I upsized this picture before I uploaed it to Photobucket and now when clicked is almost full screen. Much better than the thumbnail I posted of it earlier. wooohooo.