"don't hate me" Painting

Mike Olson

So, it's starting to get warm enough that I can start thinking about finally putting a finish on my Son's playtable. Origionally I intended to stain it and apply several layers of polyurathane on it.
But,
There are several voids in the plywood that is visible and needs to be filled, also there are a couple areas where I sanded through the birch veneer, I also plan on sealing the seams on the play surface with calk so if water or whatever gets spilled it won't leak down through the whole table.

The only real option I see is paint. Does anyone have any suggestions for making it as dourable as possible? can I apply Poly over Paint? is there a super durable Paint I could?

Thanks,
Mike

The only real option I see is paint. Does anyone have any suggestions for making it as durable as possible? can I apply Poly over Paint? is there a super durable Paint I could?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes you can, Mike. I've put Waterbased poly (flecto varathane diamond finish) over latex paint, and it holds up well.

However, I've also recently read in "wood finishing fixes" by Michael Dresdner (pg22) that you can probably get it just as durable and scrubbable by using a "scrubbable kitchen paint", or a "children's room paint".

...art

I'm with Art. Scrubbable paint has come a long way but, you know what the surface will have to tolerate better than I so if Poly seems needed, by all means do it. I will cast my vote for Zinsser's B.I.N. as a primer. I used this on a dresser that required some real body work to bring it back to paintable. The BIN covers great, dries fast and can be tinted to better match your top color if you like.