termite food???

larry merlau

ok we all make saw dust sometime in our shops and some of us can get rid of it by the local waste plant trucks but thetre are also some of us that dump it out back to go away naturally,, but my question arizes from the possible old wives tale that if you have buried wood near a structure that you will attrack termites and we al know what they eat and dont want to wake one day to a shell of a shop becasue we didnt do the rtight thing in our saw dust removal:eek: but in the same frame of thoguht trees are wood and grow and die and drop limbs to the ground and termites dont eat all the trees??? so is it anything t concern ourselfs over? right now i have pretty big pile of saw dust that i plan on puttin over the bank which is quite a deep gully that i wil never fill up.. and it can go away as it wants back to worm food!! any thing i should worry over?????

I would imagine the heat created in the sawdust pile makes most of it not inhabitable for termites. Once broken down, probably of beneficial use to other pests (like cats!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:).
As long as it isn't piled up against the side of the building where the moisture quickly becomes the enemy, no problems from my side of the fence!

Yup we gottum

even i the cold areas they are here,, not as big as they used to be other things seem to be taking the show, radon ,black mold you know the tv stars:) but i have seen many timber in the older house exspecailly that are hollowed out .. just thught maybe there were some studies done to check it out i know they like moister and i am far enough away right now that they would get thirsty before they made the trip to the dry shop. i know i do:D

They get termites in the Boston area--they are always talking about termite damage on This Old House. I don't think the Boston climate is that much different from here. I don't hear much about them around here, but I'm all the way across the state from Larry.

I have never heard of termites eating sawdust. But I am not an exterminator either. Here in the deep south I wouldn't want that near my house. I have picked up limbs in yards and found termites.

Heck if you toss down a piece of pine on the ground down here and listen close, you can hear a faint "Chow Time!!" coming from the ground. :rolleyes: