Fulton 34

Hubert Carle

Inherited several planes a while back and finally getting off my butt to clean / sharpen them. Got one I can't find on the WWW. It is very long 21 1/4" and has Fulton on the back and 34 on the front. Any one know about such??

Thanks

I've seen Fulton planes before - a smaller name to be sure. Is yours cast iron, wood, or a transitional plane with a wood sole and a screw-on frog / blade assembly?
At any rate, a plane that long is a jointer. You probably won't use it that often, but when you need one, you need one.
Paul Hubbman

I just happened on one about the size you describe today at an estate sale. It looked to be cast iron. Was not it great shape so I left it for someone else. I think they were asking 26.50 for it. Looked on the back and didn't notice a 34. Looked at a lot of items there, so I'm not positive I have the right one in mind, but I think the sole was corrugated on their Fulton plane. Once you get yours cleaned up and sharpened I'd expect it to do a good job.

Enjoy your relative's history.

It is cast iron with I think it is called "Japanning" on it. The 34 is raised number in the front and the name is raised letters on the back. The sole is ribbed underneath.

I have used it. Got a round of Walnut from a local tree cutting guy and used it to plane down to flatness and height so I could "resaw" it on my band saw. Worked great.