What 10 movies do you find yourself recommending?

Band of Brothers
Enemy at the Gates
Caddyshack
Blues Brothers
Shindler's List
True Grit
Patton
Cool Hand Luke
National Treasure
Dances with Wolves

Man, listing just 10 is tough, but if a person that had NEVER seen a motion picture came up to me, I would hand them the 10 Commandments. Now THAT is a classic.

American Graffiti
Patriot
Gladiator
Shawshank Redemption
Titanic
Hoosiers
A Leauge of their own
Remember the Titans
An Officer and a Gentleman
Top Gun

I'm surprised Porkys wasn't on anyones list :D

Thanks everyone. You've given me lots of good suggestions. So far I've put these on my Need-To-See-If-Blockbuster-Has-These list.

This bunch are reminders of trailer ads I saw that looked like something I'd like to see, but just never got around to it.
Chronicles of Narnia
Passion of the Christ
Walk the Line
We Were Soldiers
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
The Village
Love Actually

These I've actually seen once and remember liking, but I don't recall much about the movie so it may be time for a reviewing.
Beautiful Mind
Buckeroo Bonzai

This group I've either never heard of, or the title is just vaguely familiar. Think I'll do a bit of Googling for some reviews to see if these look like something I'd like.
Dirty Filthy Love
Cinderella man
Man on Fire
The prestige
Cooler
Mon Oncle Antoine
Lagaan

A lot of the suggestions (very good ones too), are movies I've been able to see enough times on the boob-tube that I'll pass them up in favor of something I haven't seen. I'm also a Steven Ambrose fan (think he also was involved in a Lewis and Clark series too?) but either A&E or the History channel (maybe both?) has been re-running the Band of Brothers series a lot lately, so I think I've seen the whole set 4-5 times now.

Who needs Siskel & Ebert or Ebert & Roeper when you can find out everything you need to see right here?:thumb:

Some repeats here but I'll throw them down anyway.

Gladiator
Matrix (trilogy)
Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
Hang em High (Clint Eastwood)
The Good, Bad and Ugly

There are some good ones on those lists.

I've got MANY favorites but here are some of them.

Just about ANY submarine movie:
Crimson Tide
The Hunt for Red October
Down Periscope
;)

Gary Grant movies are also greats. All of the ones listed are great but one I didn't see on the list was. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

This is Spinal Tap

The Right Stuff

Monty Python's "The Holy Grail"

I'm sure I'll think of more and add them tp the list later.

John

Most of my favorites have beeen mentioned. However, I cannot believe no one has yet to list one of the funniest movies of all time: Napolean Dynamite! --- "vote for Pedro!":D

Well I'll add my bit here.
fbdo.jpg Ferris Bueller's Day Off <-just have to love it, I own the video, and sometimes, when I'm a bit blue and want a cheap laugh, well, Leisure Rules! :headbang:

fiddler.jpg Fiddler on the Roof <- classic, can't get away from it, there are some darn funny parts, and the music is wonderful!

15m.jpg
The Straight Story
< Fantastic little movie staring the late great Richard Farnsworth

brazil.jpgBrazil <- Possibly Terry Gilliam's best movie, not for everyone, you HAVE TO see the directors cut.
blade.jpg Blade Runner <- ground breaking, great storyline, great visuals, again, Directors cut is the only way to go! :thumb:

95m.jpg
The Seven Samurai <- My favorite Kurosawa movie, totally driven by the story and the characters. The Western re-make "The Magnificent Seven" is, at best a poor copy.

10m.jpg
The Princess Bride <- laugh out loud funny, lots of twists, and sword fights, bonus is you can watch this one with the whole family! :thumb:

46m.jpg
The Grapes of Wrath <- if you have not seen it, rent it and see it, if you have not read the book, read it.

64m.jpg
The Searchers <- One of my favorite John Wayne movies, and that is saying a lot, and it is a John Ford film too!

term.jpg The Terminator <- Yep, love this original one, the 2nd and 3rd ones are more SFX driven, and less story line. I love the original, Arnie did a great job, and the story is so good. GREAT "B" movie!

I'll stop there, I could fill pages :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
I, II, or III ??? :eek:

And let us not forget Howard the Duck.

Ah yes...the classics! :D

Reminds me of watching Revenge of the Nerds with my wife and new inlaws...the nerds had a camera in the girls locker room, and one of the nerds says "I wanna see some m_ff!" :eek: :eek: ...while I'm sitting next to my MIL, the church lector, president of the school board, eucharistic minister, Miss Manners, etc. :doh:

Last edited:
I'm not much of a movie / TV watcher, but a few stand out...

Christmas Vacation -- dumb, meaningless, but tons of fun! A family tradition here, every year during Thanksgiving weekend all the kids and grandkids gather to watch it. VHS is wearing out, I need to get a DVD version.

Big Man on Campus -- Early 1990's, a satire based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Never took off, not well known -- but an absolute hoot, the basic story and one liners are hilarious. We have a poor quality VHS we made from the TV, wish I could find a good copy. I think it was released in limited quantity, totally unavailable today.

Pure Country -- Not a classic, but great message, sometimes we get so caught up in what we are doing we forget why we do it. Inspires me to slow down and regroup.

Return of the Titans / Coach Carter -- same basic themes, both very well done and enjoyable.

Tombstone / Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner version) -- Tombstone is very much a hollywood version, but fun to watch, Wyatt Earp w/ Kevin Costner is a little more historically correct.

The Replacements -- Fun to watch and entertaining

This is what comes to mind, as I said I'm not a serious movie / TV watcher.

I'm not much of a movie / TV watcher, but a few stand out...

Big Man on Campus -- Early 1990's, a satire based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Never took off, not well known -- but an absolute hoot, the basic story and one liners are hilarious. We have a poor quality VHS we made from the TV, wish I could find a good copy. I think it was released in limited quantity, totally unavailable today.

Tony,

do a search on ebay. I just did and came up with at least six copies of BMOC. One even on DVD. If you really want it check it out. They're out there.

John

Good thread, thanks

Sliding Doors
Someone to watch over me
Morgan
Roadhouse (just like a train wreck, can't help but watch it)
Swimming Pool
House of Fog and Sand
Mostly Martha
Body Heat
Rabbit Proof Fence
Master and Commander

Just did a search on both Netflix and BlockBuster, neither one carries it.
I propose we all set out on a mission to locate a copy for Tony. Report back here with your find.

Edit: What I have found, if there are any DVD's of this show out there, they are recorded from a personal VHS. This movie does not exist on its own. Sorry Tony, I tried.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm remembering that one, but if it's the one I think it is, you might want to try "Encino Man"...couple of familiar faces when they were young and unknown.

(And of course that segues very nicely into "Caveman", with Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach.:rofl: )

Tony,

do a search on ebay. I just did and came up with at least six copies of BMOC. One even on DVD. If you really want it check it out. They're out there.

John

Thanks John, there are several VHS copies available -- it was never released on DVD. There are some bootleg DVD's available from overseas, but I'm kinda uncomfortable going that route. I'll pick up a VHS from e-bay and convert it for my own use -- I think that's legal, but more importantly I feel it's ethical because it's for my own use and not for profit.

Lee DeRaud said:
Not sure I'm remembering that one,

Lee, Does "Bob Maluga Luga Luga Luga Luga Luga ; 1 Maluga, 5 Luga's " Ring a Bell ??
I never did get into "Encino Man", for some reason it just didn't appeal to me.

Last edited: