G0490 with Byrd or G0490X?

glenn bradley

The Google search of the forum doesn't get any hits on G0490 or G0490X jointers here but I swear we have discussed them. In a nutshell I am ready to order. I thought I was solid on the G0490X but of course, am having last minute jitters :huh:.

Simple questions we may or may not be qualified to answer . . .

G0490X owners -

Are you happy?

Do you wish you would have gone with the G0490 and put the Byrd in yourself?

G0490 owners who added a Byrd -

Are you happy?

It has been stated that the Byrd requires the beds to be adjusted so that the fence movement is impaired. Anyone notice this? Griz says it ain't so.

Thanks to any and all who can help. After the long wait to save my pennies you would think I would have this settled in my mind :eek:.

Glenn,

Both of those would be a major step up for me. You're lucky: it's a nice dilemma to have.

I've heard many good things about the byrd cutterhead. If it were me, I think I'd want it pre-installed, just because I tend to mess things up... ;)

But I've never quite understood the "Parallelogram Beds" thing. What's the difference from a regular jointer?

Thanks,

Bill

P-beds are supported in four "corners" on cams as opposed to sliding in dovetail ways. This keeps a fairly constant distance between the table edges and the cutter head regardless of height. They are also supposed to be easier to adjust should that ever become necessary. Many folks go years without having to adjust their beds on either type of machine.

I agree on the "factory installed" preference but the upgrade is supposed to be easy and if there is a benefit besides having "a real Byrd" I am not against spending a few more bucks to get it. If it is no big deal, I'll probably go with the "X" and get on with it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. The web and catalogs are great for research but sometimes getting a human on the phone will cut to the chase. Ordered the G0490X after getting answers to a couple troubling last-minute questions.

The Griz head looked odd to me and appeared to spiral the opposite direction of the Byrd. No reason this should be an issue but it started me asking questions. For a while the more answers I got the foggier my mind became ;-)

The Griz head pictured online and in the catalog is in error. This is an older head that they have not sold for quite some time. The new German made head is pictured (again, apparently incorrectly) as the head for the G0593 online and in the catalog. This is the head that ships with the G0490X:

Given the bazillion items Grizzly sells and the size of their catalog, a few errors are not surprising. These two just happened to confuse me till I got tech-support on the phone a few minutes ago.

I hope this helps anyone else who is trying to decide. I've got to go clear some space ;-)

glen, have the 490 without the carbide cutters so no opinion there but...i was really impressed with fit and finish of the grizzly 490 jointer. i've bought other grizzly products over the years and their quality has improved as they've grown as a company.

the beds were in plane and the outboard bed didn't need adjustment to the cutters as received. the only complaint i have is that the 220v cable that came with the machine was too short to reach the ceiling where i've routed all my electricals in the shop. i took a brief look at the electrical box to see what i would have to disturb to plumb a longer aftermarket cable and didn't do it...just using a short extension cable that i had for my air compressor.

also replaced the belt with a segmented aftermarket type.

you'll be happy with your purchase...let's hear from you once to try it out.

Thanks Clark. I had heard other mentions of the power cord. Some OK, some short. My power will be ceiling mounted as well. I had assumed a twist lock drop cord would be the answer. Do you use twist lock, friction, right angle or ??? to keep your overhead cords in place? Also, did you go 20a breaker or 30a? Thanks again.

glenn, mine is a home shop for hobby so i have one 20a 220v circuit devoted to the workshop with two outlets. i have table saw, jointer, shaper, air comp, planer and vacuum chuck system that use 220v. so the table saw is plugged in most of the time and the others are all on wheels to roll out and plug in as needed. not a problem with me but i'm not production minded.

i've never had a problem with either 110 or 220v plugs dropping out with just a friction plug but the twist plug would be attractive if i hadn't started with the other type.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the upcoming new addition to your shop, Glenn. :thumb: My little 6" Grizzly jointer has been sufficient for my sparse needs, but if I had the space and the money to spend, I'd be looking hard at the G0490 series.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the upcoming new addition to your shop, Glenn. :thumb: My little 6" Grizzly jointer has been sufficient for my sparse needs, but if I had the space and the money to spend, I'd be looking hard at the G0490 series.

Thanks, but Vaughn . ? . ? . ? . . . . jointers make things . . . . flat :rofl:.