Bench Top using solid core doors

I think one of my first projects will be a workbebch with storage below. I have seen one design which used a solid core door faced with hardboard and edged with poplar. I like what I saw, but I could use some advice on what to look for (and avoid) when selecting a door. I will install at least one vice initially, and will want holes for dogs (which I would probably rout rather than drill). I understand that some core materials may not work well in this sort of application. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Many times you can get odd sized solid core doors for a really good deal. Just ask someone at the lumber yard if they have any unclaimed doors they want to get rid of.

Visit the lumber yards and the BORGS and check out to see if they have any damaged solid core doors. Another place to check is if someone is remodeling a house or tearing one down.
I salvaged a door that had a window in it by filling the window opening, then I covered the door with two thickness of 3/4 inch MDF. This made a very solid and heavy bench. If you want a top that you can change after it gets chewed up you can add a layer of 1/4 hardboard.

Tony, great question and what a timely fashion! Larry just dropped a solid core door off at my place Friday and it will become the workbench top for me. Will be watching this thread for great information. :thumb:

I got one MASSIVE solid core door that was even real wood (not chip board) from a friend in the remodeling business. They have access to lots of spare parts:)

Tony,

That's what I have for a workbench. I will shot a bunch of photos and post them tonight.

As for where to get a door, the best place will be a slavage yard.

I got my at Lowes.

More later tonight.

Well, an update... I call the solid core workbench, Workbench ONE. I have now completed Workbench TWO.... It took me 7 years to get here.

Link to my build process.

A couple of pictures...

WBT-Day33%u0025252520%u00252525282%u0025252520of%u002525252021%u0025252529.jpg

WBT-Day33%u0025252520%u00252525283%u0025252520of%u002525252021%u0025252529.jpg

Nice looking bench.

Interesting that that twin screw vice actually pulls tight on both sides. I have the veritas version that uses the bicycle chain to pull the two sides in concert and I can't see it working at all without a handle on both sides due to the slop between them (its not huge but measurable and noticeable). The mechanism here must be really tight to make it work like that.

Hey Bartee, good to see you drop in! :wave: The bench looks very nice.

I've seen some good solid core doors at the local Habitat for Humanity Restore shop for very reasonable prices.

Beware most solid doors are not solid wood but particle board.
I would try a restoration shop or surplus place like Habitat for Humanity store if one in your area.

But.....you won't have a very substantial bench.

A ww'ers bench really needs to be at least 2 1/2" thick if you're using bench dogs or holddowns.

I would suggest 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF and laminate up a 3+" X 24" wide top.
You can cover with hardboard or plywood and edge it with 1x4 material.

I made mine from a section of bowling alley:
01ae9aa8ca8e65ffa5a596d89188d6284a3f1ba05a.jpg