Well here they come...

here`s some food for thought...........being as we don`t discuss our religious preferences on this forum, it could be possible that some of our members are amish, or jewish, or catholic, or, or.....
possibly using the phrase "some lowlife investors" would be an option?

from here it`s not about being politically correct, it`s about showing our fellow woodworkers the respect that everyone of us hopes for until we do or say somethig to loose that respect...........and even then the forum rules insist on polite discourse..

something to think about?

What good does it do to have removed the original post for review when there's three pages of commentary on it?! Maybe you need to add a 'rule' that locks the thread until it's either allowed or not. Travis could have said what he said any number of ways, but the bottom line would've been the same. Delete the whole thing or leave it!!

Hey Travis are you sure that they were Amish? I mean driving around in Van's? Is that allowed? Ok I guess horse's under the hood could be a loophole:rolleyes: Glad to hear that your not thinking of selling. It looks like a nice bit or property that you have and I can see why it would be attractive to anyone and the reason that you like sledding. I would be doing the exact same thing. Must be lots of work though. So how do you find the time to work, be a husband and dad , maintain the farm, play in the shop and write all your fascinating posts all the time avoiding the local hydro authorities?:rofl: :rofl::thumb:

Is there anybody left we can make fun of? Is it permitted to criticize people who want everything 'pc'? Or is that not 'pc'? :bang:

Frank.....I hope you realize I was "funnin'" Art when I made that remark. PC.....not my style.....I call 'em like I see 'em. Sometimes, however, if I think it's unwise or won't be helpful, I'll just keep it to myself. I have a peculiar accent. I got that accent from being around my parents..mostly from my Dad. Once in a busy hospital on the south side of Chicago, I was delayed working on a CT scanner while they scanned an emergency patient. Sitting in the cafeteria on the last stool available at the counter, I ordered breakfast. The guy sitting next to me said "I'll bet you the price of your coffee I can tell you where you're from within 25 miles." I said "okay" ....He said "You come from within 25 miles of Effingham, IL." I said "I like my coffee black." He said "I gotta know. It's been a hobby of mine since I was transporting troops on ships during WWII. Where are you from?" "I'm from Flora, IL. It's 31 miles south of Effingham. I take my coffee black, Thank You!" The point is I come from a long line of hill billies and rednecks....and I josh about it.

If this was not a family oriented website, I'd spend 30 minutes telling you my Irish jokes......but they are not PC.

PC.....No Sir! Not me!......Ask tod evans...he's met me.

The Amish I know in South Central P.A are pretty nice folk.
Polite, Industrious, most keep their farms real nice and stay to themselves.
If they are anything like the Amish around here they will make
great neighbors.

I would rather see the Amish buy the land then some of these money
hungry developers from the city that come in and rape the good farm land
for high profits with poorly planed and poorly built developments.

It makes me sick to see the old farms and barns disappear.
More and more are burned down every year.

The most complaints I here about the Amish around here, is their
buggies holding up traffic and some are cruel to their horses.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Here is a bigger problem than who is buying the land. If they pay 2K per acer. Then guess what Travis, all your land is worth 2K an acer and you will be taxed as such. You had better be sitting down when you get next years tax bill. Happened around here in the past years with the all the real a state going up and idiots paying more and more for it. Year before last my tax bill doubled over night.Building lots went from 45K to 96k and up there are some as high 175K and people grabbed them up.:dunno:

No that can't happen here, at least not anymore. My pasture and tillable land is under the Farm Ground Tax Shelter and the Forest will soon be under the protection of the Maine Tree Growth Shelter. Currently Farm Ground is valued at around 200 per acre, while forest ground is rated at 300 per acre for softwood, and 250 for softwood, and 288 for mixed stands. That pretty much locks me in.

They can go up on my house some, along with the sawmill (its not a portable mill) and woodworking shop, but that's about the only thing that is variable. Even then, the house gets a Homestead exemption, so I do okay on property taxes. I just pay the highest taxes in the nation on everything else in life :)

Hey Travis are you sure that they were Amish? I mean driving around in Van's? Is that allowed? Ok I guess horse's under the hood could be a loophole:rolleyes: Glad to hear that your not thinking of selling. It looks like a nice bit or property that you have and I can see why it would be attractive to anyone and the reason that you like sledding. I would be doing the exact same thing. Must be lots of work though. So how do you find the time to work, be a husband and dad , maintain the farm, play in the shop and write all your fascinating posts all the time avoiding the local hydro authorities?:rofl: :rofl::thumb:

Drew, this is the honest truth...there is not enough time, but there never has been. To do something, means something else is pushed out of the way. If you stop in at 10 AM, rest assured I am doing something, but its typically nothing that can't be stopped and I help you out. That's just the way my life has always been. Life on full speed ahead. But that's alright, I don't have any problems with insomnia :) I got to bed at 10, and get up at 3:30...Luckily I'm a morning person, so for you West Coast guys, that is when you usually catch me online. About the time I am getting up, is about the time Vaughn is headed to bed.

It used to be that on Sunday's was the day we rested up. We would go chat with the neighbors then, work a bit around the house, but never do anything as far as work-for-money goes. To an extent I still do that, but with Alyson in the picture now, Friday's end up mean watching her. So that is usually my slow down day. I got visit people then, go hiking through the woods to check on forest growth and stand damage and whatnot, and just bring her along with me. She likes it too. So on Fridays you see my post count pick up quite a bit, just because I am in and around the computer alot.

In the summer a family friend uses my tractor to do a lot of custom haying (Another reason I got into beef cows...free hay). Its kind of funny because the Amish will not be able to move in here until September,so they contracted him to cut the first crop hay. My tractor will be helping in that adventure so that is kind of ironic.

I guess them moving in doesn't mean a whole lot. Thorndike will still have its agricultural roots for a few more generations anyway. Besides I was thinking with the price of gas now, they might have a good plan going. Maybe I should join up with them, I don't drink, I don't smoke, never did any funny stuff, so I am halfway there. Alyson looks quite cute in a bonnet too! :thumb:

Frank.....I hope you realize I was "funnin'" Art when I made that remark. PC.....not my style.....I call 'em like I see 'em. Sometimes, however, if I think it's unwise or won't be helpful, I'll just keep it to myself. I have a peculiar accent. I got that accent from being around my parents..mostly from my Dad. Once in a busy hospital on the south side of Chicago, I was delayed working on a CT scanner while they scanned an emergency patient. Sitting in the cafeteria on the last stool available at the counter, I ordered breakfast. The guy sitting next to me said "I'll bet you the price of your coffee I can tell you where you're from within 25 miles." I said "okay" ....He said "You come from within 25 miles of Effingham, IL." I said "I like my coffee black." He said "I gotta know. It's been a hobby of mine since I was transporting troops on ships during WWII. Where are you from?" "I'm from Flora, IL. It's 31 miles south of Effingham. I take my coffee black, Thank You!" The point is I come from a long line of hill billies and rednecks....and I josh about it.

If this was not a family oriented website, I'd spend 30 minutes telling you my Irish jokes......but they are not PC.

PC.....No Sir! Not me!......Ask tod evans...he's met me.

Ken, no problem. Problem, if you can call it that, is with me. I have a very big and very-very sensitive "HOT" button when it comes to censorship of any kind. I understand the "family" concept here and occasionally have to bite my lip, tongue, fingers, etc. to keep quiet about some things being closed or moved. Or even being considered for such. As for this thread, as I saw it, we were discussing cultural behaviors of the Amish. I don't recall any mention, or criticism, of their religion. 'PC' sensitivity can be carried too far. Case in point, another WW forum I once belonged to deleted one of my posts because I mentioned "Chinamen". The reference was accurate and in context. It was a historical reference and no other word would have worked. Several weeks after that was deleted, I made another, almost identical post as a test but substituted the word with "Dutchmen". No deletion or problem there. Reedikalus. I'm still [expletive deleted] over that.

amish, driving up in Vans?
There are several groups of people that follow similar lifestyles as the Amish, even dress in the same type of clothing, but from 25 feet, one would be difficult to distinguish.
Mennonites, in the central PA region, have cars, use electricity in their homes, but dress similar.
Ive heard and read that land is becoming a huge problem for the Amish.
Decades ago, parents would be able to split up their land and give a portion to their married childred to run their own farm, but in todays times, land is scarce, and farming without enough land is not profitable enough to support a family.
Seems some of the younger generations of Amish, are heading to universities, to study for different careers, since farming is getting difficult without sufficient land supplies.
I guess thats why most Amish farmers, work other jobs as well, such as in furniture shops or woodworking shops(and if the boss uses electric, the Amish will use electric at work only, Ive questioned some)
And if Amish have livestock, local ordinaces require they have electricity to run whatever required equipment is necessary to meet local laws.
Ofcourse, the real Amish wont have electric into their homes, but their barns quite often.

The most peculiar thing Ive ever come across when dealing with an Amish business man, is his lack of willingness to bargain, no matter what quantity is purchased, he stood firm and seem to didnt get my argument, or I guess just wasnt interested in what an outsider to him had to say.
He was cool anyway, answered my questions, showed me his home, and hs wife came home a short while later with the children from school, there was around 8 kids getting out of the wagon, and his wife didnt look a day over 20.
I purchased a set of outdoor furniture from the guy, a long time ago, still have some of the chairs.

The Ohio Amish don't drive, but they will hire a van and driver if a group of them need to go somewhere.

Typically, the rental vans are plain white - no frills - and set up for maximum seating capacity.

The Ohio Amish don't drive, but they will hire a van and driver if a group of them need to go somewhere.

Typically, the rental vans are plain white - no frills - and set up for maximum seating capacity.

I wonder if some of the elders feel when the their laws were written, there was no such thing as motor vehicles.
Interesting.

What good does it do to have removed the original post for review when there's three pages of commentary on it?! Maybe you need to add a 'rule' that locks the thread until it's either allowed or not. Travis could have said what he said any number of ways, but the bottom line would've been the same. Delete the whole thing or leave it!!

Ok lets talk about throwing a Router across the shop.
:):eek::D:thumb::rofl::wave:

Working condition or needs to be scrapped?

Kirk & I go back to days gone by on another forum it may have been Badger Pond I don't remember for sure. He had a router that grew wings one day. I don't remember the circumstances or outcome for the router. I just kid Kirk about it once in a while.

I hadn't thought about that for a long time. For those that don't know the story (and might care :rolleyes:)... I had a Makita 3612BR in a table. It never plunged well even upright, and was horrible in the table. It was my first 'real' router, so when the bearings went out I had it fixed even tho I was pretty well hating it by then. I had them look at the plunging issue, and when I got it back it plunged as well as it ever had... still not good. One day it got stuck and I couldn't plunge or move the height at all... and I chucked it across the room in frustration. Broke the base. I may have picked it up and thrown it again. I don't remember. Anyhoo, I felt kinda silly afterward. :eek:

I left it sitting by the door for a long time (years) to remind me to keep my temper a little better. It may still be there for all I know... I haven't cleaned that end of the shop for quite some time.

Amish Beliefs:
Actually, there are three families or Anabaptist-related groups.. the Amish, the Mennonites, and the Brethren.
The groups differ primarily in matters of dress, language, forms of worship, and the extent to which they allow modern technology and the forces of the "outside world" to impact their lives. Most Brethren and Mennonites dress much like their "English" neighbors. Other Mennonites, Brethren and Amish Mennonites wear distinctive Amish clothing but may make use of "worldly" conveniences -- such as cars, electricity and telephones. On the other hand, Old Order Mennonite and Old Order Amish groups are more restrictive in their views of modern technology, with the Old Order Amish being the most conservative of the groups.

Interesting site on why some Amish are migrating to Maine.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/02/02/putting_down_roots?pg=full

Last edited:

Yep, that is what they are driving around town, though I am not sure how they got up here, as the bonnet wearing woman driver was in a plain white van with Maine plates??? I'm not making fun of her bonnet, I am just saying it was a real Amish woman driving, and not a chauffeur. They are Amish too,and not Mennonites. We have had them for years and am actually good friends with one who saws my lumber up.

As the week has gone on, I have got a little more information about them. It seems they are looking for around 2000 acres that is in one big chunk. With my land (1600) and Jeff's farm, 350,that would nearly get them what they want as we abutt each others property. Its also easy to figure out why Jeff's farm is so sought after, it's the true New England Farm. You come around a sharp curve on a gravel road and in the valley is his farm,with big red barn,cows out front, the fence posts lining the gravel road and view of the distant hills. It is the typical Maine farm. Jeff's farm also has another feature, its 500 feet from the Thorndike Baptist Church. Its a simple church, made in 1830 and looks like it in every way. Since this church only has 1 church meeting per year, I could see them using it. I'll try and get some pictures of these two places when I can. Both are picturesque in their own, simple farming simplicity.

You have heard me say on here for years now that Thorndike is VERY isolated, and quiet. We are well off the Interstate and you are in for a 20 minute drive no matter what you need. If they are looking to be left alone from the tourists, they have certainly found the town for that. By all accounts they seem like good people to have in town as far as taxes and stuff goes. They do pay taxes, and yet do not contribute to the local school burden or require many town services (as if Thorndike really offers many anyway :) )

We did have a big town meeting this week. It was about building a new town office, but after that was over the "real meeting" started in regards to the newcomers. I think most people are going to take a wait and see approach.

Last edited: