Our straw house

Another installment. These were mostly July and August.

First is the framing for this kinda cupola skylight thingy. Figured out how to build it by trial and error on each part of it, with each successive step getting a bit trickier. Framing the well was pretty easy by comparison.

Next is the process of sheathing the roof. This took most of July, though we were doing other things too, like installing the facia boards, each one with its own funky miter. Lots of nice rain delays, lightning too :eek: . A friend loaned me his framing nailer for this- would have been pretty awful without one.

After sheathing, we stapled down lots of felt, 30# I think it was. Then after it all blew off (well, not all, but it seemed that way), I put the pieces back on with nails and tin caps. No pictures of that, it was kinda depressing :doh:

Then comes the metal roof. Love this stuff. Lots of cutting with a hip roof, but still worth all the effort.

Finally, the cupola, more or less finished. Only thing missing in the last shot is the ridge capping that the roofing supplier made for us, 1/3 normal size. The lighter grey metal screwed to the sides are pieces of the shipping crates that the roofing came in. I'm going to make window flashing out of the rest of it.

Last edited:
Awesome lid John. Darn, must be really good stuff to only need screwing off at the eave and cap! Clean looking for sure.

For all that hard work, you sure chose a beautiful place to do it. Enjoy!