The Third Challenge

Dave Richards

Tableleg-2.jpg

It's like dropping a coin in a well and never hearing the splash. :rolleyes:

Guess we'll skip the SketchUp challenges.

TTFN
Don't be discouraged Dave. I honestly wish I had more time to devote to learning new software. SU is on my laptop and I 'plan' to spend some time with it in June. The LOML and I are renting a fire tower for 3 days. Peace, quiet, and no people. Who knows, I might just learn something about SU!:D

Actually, I've found them rather interesting, especially the solutions.

I would try to do that as follows, though I'm not even sure it would work.

The squared off portions are relatively straight forward, the turned portions I believe I would extrude a pattern of the profiles around a cylinder. Don't really know how that transition from turned to squared would be done.

NO!!!!!! keep 'em comin!

I'm just picky about the ones I do because they might take more time than I have at the moment. This one looked a little more time-hungry than the last one (i whipped that lattice up in like 15 minutes). It's really a matter of timing for me. I fully intend to sift back through these challenges when I have the time to focus on some of them.

This one might have been a little hard for some folks - My follow-me around a cylinder isn't the greatest yet and I knew it'd take me a little while fiddlin' around to figure it out.

Been fiddlin with it a bit here and found that you can extrude a half pattern around a circle centered on the top or bottom of the half pattern at the patterns center line. I'm thinkin on some way to intersect the turned portion to a block to get the transitions.

Yeah Dave, these are great for learning. Just gettin to gettin to em is sometimes hard. I had five days worth of chores and stuff around the house over the 3 day weekend (San Jacinto Day is a State Holiday) and was in the shop till nearly 9:00 PM turning some pens for some folks at Church.

Well, I gave it a shot. Not the same design for the turned portion, but that was the easy part. Ended up intersecting the transitions (don't know if that even necessary) then connect a corner to the endpoints of the curve segments.

TurnedLeg-600.jpg

Tedious doing the lines manually, there's likely a better quicker way that I am sure Dave will tell us about.

It's like dropping a coin in a well and never hearing the splash. :rolleyes:

TTFN
Hey Ollie :wave:, You know quitin' the challenges is quitin' the Big Plan!!
Try to remember this... "you are The Daddy, tryin' to raise up some kids right." You know some times the kids have to go back and look at the guidance (the challenge) they were given in order to appreciate it. Try not to become discouraged by the lack of response, it is still a small group and the vortex/round ones have a grip we must dislodge :eek: !!!!!!:rofl:

How would it look if the young'uns were to give up causin' you didn't hear no splash. Huh??? :doh:You want to hear a splash? There! Did you hear that? I just threw my favorite red eared slider (a turtle) into a pool infested with coy from 19 ' up... Quite the visual huh! Well I was just kidding.:rolleyes:
I appreciate your work, and I have no idea where to listen for a splash!!!!:eek::rolleyes:.
Just keep posting this work/play. Believe me, it is apreciated.
Stan :)

Thanks to all for compliments and the votes to keep the challenge thing going. At the time I suggested dropping the challenges there'd been a lot of views and no comments so I figured there was no interest.

Alright, here's how I did it. Keep in mind I used a raw DXF import from the manufacturer, Osborne WoodProducts for this. Normally I lighten the profile a lot by redrawing the curves using fewer segments. I figure you can do that part easily enough so I bypassed it here.

First the imported profile.
b16c7d98.jpg

Next, I drew three lines across the profile. The first one cause the faces to be filled. I placed the lines so as to separate the square sections from the round. Then I copied the rectangular faces off to one side. I moved the copies a known distance so I could move them back later. The green is my back face color.

dcef30d6.jpg

Next I deleted all but half of the profiles. I use a few guidelines to show where I needed to draw lines to refill the faces. In order to make the pommels later, I extended the curves outward to the guides that are parallel to the red axis. The distances for this aren't critical. You just need to make sure the profile will intersect the square portion of the profile properly.

Before drawing the rest of the lines back in to refill the faces, I ran weld.rb on the profiles. This saves a lot of time later because I won't need to smooth the rings around the legs later.

After running weld, I added the lines in to complete the faces.

d249ed36.jpg

Push/Pull makes quick work of the square portions of the leg. Instead of plling the entire height in one step, I pulled up half way and then orbited around to the bottom and pulled down the rest of the way.. This kept the square sections on the same line as the impending turnings. The boxes could have been pulled in one step and then moved down, instead.

I also added a circle for the Follow Me path. Note that it is larger than the diameter of the leg. It doesn't matter what size the circle is as long as it is centered on the centerline of the profile. I deleted the face keeping only the circle's edge. The circle is drawn right at the end of the leg. If the faces was kept, Follow Me might leave a hole in the bottom of the leg. Without the face, on the circle, there will definitely be a face on the bottom of the leg after Follow Me.

Finally, I reversed the faces of the profiles. It is faster to do it now than to do it after the leg is completed.

9cb12797.jpg

After Follow Me we have this:

e86c55f8.jpg

The square sections are moved into place.

08b79c29.jpg

At this point I scaled the model up by a factor of 100 to avoid the tiny face syndrome. To scale the model up, I drew a short line segment 1" long off to one side. Then I measured that line with the Tape Measure tool. It measured one inch but I entered 100 in the VCB and hit Enter. SU asked if I wanted to resize the model to which I answered, 'Yes.'

Then I ran Intersect with model. Because of the huge number of entities in this one, I dragged selection boxes around the areas where the intersections needed to be made and ran Intersect. So this was done once for each intersection.

3a747e7b.jpg

I deleted the waste after the intersections to get to this point.

b1bf7cae.jpg

Finally, I rotated the leg to the vertical position and then made it a component. Doing those things in that order makes it easy to get the component axes oriented properly.

c6f590b4.jpg

And there you have a finished leg. It goes much more rapidly for me when I don't have to make screen grabs but even so, I finished up in under 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Stan, I wasn't threatenin' ta quit the 'Big Plan'. Jes wonnerin' if'n I should change hosses. ;)

You got a red eared slider? Cool! Would Koi eat red eared sliders? :rofl:

Hey Ollie :wave:, You know quitin' the challenges is quitin' the Big Plan!!
Try to remember this... "you are The Daddy, tryin' to raise up some kids right." You know some times the kids have to go back and look at the guidance (the challenge) they were given in order to appreciate it. Try not to become discouraged by the lack of response, it is still a small group and the vortex/round ones have a grip we must dislodge :eek: !!!!!!:rofl:

How would it look if the young'uns were to give up causin' you didn't hear no splash. Huh??? :doh:You want to hear a splash? There! Did you hear that? I just threw my favorite red eared slider (a turtle) into a pool infested with coy from 19 ' up... Quite the visual huh! Well I was just kidding.:rolleyes:
I appreciate your work, and I have no idea where to listen for a splash!!!!:eek::rolleyes:.
Just keep posting this work/play. Believe me, it is apreciated.
Stan :)

Yeah, tried that out with another leg design from Osborne and it definitely goes quicker than manually making the transition.

You mention that you enlarge it to keep from having little faces issues, but when I imported the Osborne 2D files, they were already scaled up about 10X. One leg measured out at 216", another at ~240". I just worked them at those sizes then shrunk them down when finished. Files sizes are huge for a single leg though, so maybe tracing them with lower arc segment numbers could help.

Jerry, I mentioned reducing the segment counts. That's definitely called for here.

The leg came in at the wrong size because you didn't set the Units to Inches in the Import Options. Try again and see what happens.

Yep, just went and changed it to inches and the leg imported at 21 inches.

To reduce the segment count, do you just go in and select the curve, then lower the segments in the Entity Info box?

Some of these long rather smooth curves are not curves, but a bunch of really short segments, much shorter than needed to make the little bit of curve over-all. Would one need to select and delete several of these, then draw in a single line to reduce the count, or is there another way to do that?

Inquireing minds just gotta know.

You might be able to reduce the segment count if the curve imports as a series of joined segments the way an arc is drawn. You can select the curve with the Entity Info box open. If it allows you to change the segment count there, you're in good shape. Otherwise you need to delete the curve segments and redraw it. It is actually normal for the import to come in as exploded which is why I used the weld plugin on the profile.

Keep in mind the curve may not be a circular arc and replacing it might be easier with the Bezier tool. On the other hand, if you replace a non-circular curve with a circular one, it is unlikely anyone will be able to tell as long as the arc is a fairly close replacement.

The tighter curves came is as 12 segment curves, so I halved or less the segment in those via the entity info window. The long ones nearly straight parts are made of individual segments, so I'll try the weld script and see what happens.

Remember, weld won't reduce the number of segments. It only makes them act as a contiguous set of segments. As an example, a circle is a collection of welded line segments. If you use the Polygon tool and draw shape--say a 24-sided polygon--the segments aren't welded. Draw a circle with the default 24 segments and it'll look exactly like the 24 sided polygon. Push/Pull both of them and you'll see the difference.

The only way to reduce the number of segments in those areas is to redraw them. Set some guides to show you limits of the curve and then delete the original. Bezier may be useful for redrawing them.