Fluted box with carved flower top

Quick question Mike

It looks like the flower is a different wood and was glued on after carving. Is this correct?

(post#9)

Last edited:
Quick question Mike

It looks like the flower is a different wood and was glued on after carving. Is this correct?

(post#9)
Ron, I assume you mean the one with the yellow wood and the ebony center. What I did was glue the yellowheart to the maple before I turned it. Once I had the blank round, I then turned the yellow part smaller using a bowl gouge. I also thinned the yellowheart because it was 4/4 when I started. Then I drilled the center and glued in the ebony. Next, I parted off the top and glued it to a board with cardboard between it and the board - this is to hold it while I carve it. Then carved it.

Knock it off the board with a chisel, clean off the glue and cardboard, and use it to fit into the bottom when making the bottom. While it's not exactly the same thing, I posted a tutorial on making carved stuff on the lathe on SMC. If you look at the tutorial and think about having glued a piece of yellowheart on the blank first, I think it will make sense.

If not, let me know and I'll post more info or try to answer your questions.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I'm not a member on SMC, so I can't see the images.

But I get the idea, it's similar to the way I do a basic inlay on boxes and add finials to ornaments.

Because of the way I do boxes I won't be able to use a glue board, but I have an idea that might work using a jam chuck.

Thanks Mike

I'm not a member on SMC, so I can't see the images.

But I get the idea, it's similar to the way I do a basic inlay on boxes and add finials to ornaments.

Because of the way I do boxes I won't be able to use a glue board, but I have an idea that might work using a jam chuck.
Yes, just as long as you can hold it down so you can do the carving. I've made some boxes with hollowed out lids and what I do is leave enough wood in the center of the top that I can put a long screw up from my board into the top to hold it. A jam chuck might work but you often put a fair amount of force on it when carving so be careful.

Mike

PS - went and looked at your web site - VERY nice work you do.

Last edited:
So here is my misguided attempt at carving.

Believe me when I say it looks better in the picture than in real life

Attachments

• carvedflower-s.jpg
    carvedflower-s.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi Ron!

It doesn't look wrong to me, from my point of view it is only unfinished.

Give it a second thought, make some tweaks, look at its reflection on a mirror you'll see what is wrong inmediately ( it is a good trick), and you'll see that it comes along nicely.

Do not give up!!

Hi Ron!

It doesn't look wrong to me, from my point of view it is only unfinished.

Give it a second thought, make some tweaks, look at its reflection on a mirror you'll see what is wrong inmediately ( it is a good trick), and you'll see that it comes along nicely.

Do not give up!!

Thanks for the reminder Toni, that's something they teach you in your first year as an art student.

I flipped the image in photoshop, maybe all I need is a bunch of sanding.

So here is my misguided attempt at carving.

Believe me when I say it looks better in the picture than in real life
Very nice first attempt. I would have made the center a bit smaller but that's just my way of looking at it.

You'll do better on the next one because you'll decide what you like and don't like about this one and you'll change it. No matter how many I do, I find things to change on the next one.

If anyone wants, I'll post the tutorial on this site (it's on SMC). Just post and let me know if you want me to do that.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike

I'd like to see the Tutorial.

I refined the carving allot more last night. I do agree with you about the center. The way I'm working this piece I can easily remount the lid on the lathe and remove more of the center part.

Actually, I really don't have a choice, while I was cutting one of the petals I slipped a little and took a tiny nick out of the center. I thought it was a good thing it was to big. I might have lost the piece.:D