Ash Root Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a piece I got from the neighbor's firewood pile. It's an ash root that he couldn't split. The hole in the side was originally a bit smaller, and framed with a bark inclusion, but it got away from me as I was turning off the last little bit of the tenon and knocked a chunk out of the side. Dirty words were said. :eek: It broke in such a way that gluing it was not an option, so I put a burr on the Dremel and "carved" the edge. For as gnarly and hard as the wood was, it turned pretty easily and cut cleanly. It's 9 1/2" wide by 5" tall, and finished with Antique Oil and a coat of spray can semi-gloss poly. I accidentally got a can of the waterbased stuff, and it sort of foamed out of the can and went on like a ceiling texture gun. :doh: I wiped it with a rag to even it out, and it still looked like...well...like something not good. :p I decided to let it sit and see if it evened itself out, and sure enough, it came out looking (and feeling) pretty decent.

Bowl 043 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 043 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 043 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 043 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 043 - 05 800.jpg

Comments, critiques and questions are welcome, as always.

That is a really different piece, real busy, I guess it will be one the people love or hate.

The area that you carved, I think, sitting here devoid of Dungeon rights, that it would look better if you burnt the edge a bit with your burning tool thing, but I could be wrong.

Cheers!:wave:

...The area that you carved, I think, sitting here devoid of Dungeon rights, that it would look better if you burnt the edge a bit with your burning tool thing, but I could be wrong.

Cheers!:wave:
I think you may be on to something there. I hadn't thought about burning it. If it doesn't sell next weekend, I just may have to try that.

On the love/hate thing, this one has lots of interesting things to look at, but it doesn't really send me either. Root balls are always sort of a roll of the dice, huh?

Here's a piece I got from the neighbor's firewood pile.

Comments, critiques and questions are welcome, as always.

So Vaughn... That's the way you do it... You just pick them up from your neighbourgh's pile. :rofl::rofl:

I'm starting to wonder wheter you have a lathe in reality, or you just scavenge your neigbourgh's discarded pieces!!!

If that is so, he hasn't got what is needed to appreciate the beauty of what he's trowing away:rofl::rofl: You know what I mean...

Very interesting bowl Vaughn! Looks like you had more end-grain than anything else! I agree with Stu - folks are either going to love it - or run over to see your curly maple series!

Ash root ball he from the neighboors pile, wish I had one.
Well Vaughn, you made really something nice out of this root ball.
I like it a lot.
Ad :thumb: